Firefox Addons on 62.0 (64-bit)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
weebit

Firefox Addons on 62.0 (64-bit)

Post by weebit »

So here is my problem. I used the adblock addons for years and I disabled them and removed them a long time back. The sites played nice and cleaned up their act so I decided as soon as they did I would remove the ad blocks. Eventually I no longer needed the addon.

I don't know what is going on it just seems some sites are reading more than they have too regardless if you used the apps in the past and disabled them they don't care. You used them and that is what counts.

I disabled all adblockers for which amounted to two and one had already been removed it was just sitting in Firefox. So then I used the remove button and the sites are still blocking me. I went though everything in my browser and for the life of me I don't see anything blocking them.

Then I checked my settings and noticed I still have the "Do Not Track" setting ticked - and the "Use Tracking Protection to block known trackers"

These are my settings neither have anything to do with adblockers and I will not be changing these.

Then I got to thinking about this and realized these websites are using some type of scan to my browser to see what I have ticked in preferences and then using my settings against me?

If this is what is happening then...It is none of their damn business! It's my preferences NOT THEIRS! IT"S MY COMPUTER!

If this is what is happening then Mozilla needs to stop them from doing this! Have the third party cookies go to a new folder that gets removed when I shut down FF.

Like I said I don't believe I missed something unless you guys know of something I may of overlooked? In either case I stand at my word that it is none of the sites business what settings or addons I use. I sure wish there was a way for you guys to fix it.
lasardo

Re: Firefox Addons on 62.0 (64-bit)

Post by lasardo »

The tracking protection feature functions a lot like an adblocker, it gets a list provided by Disconnect, it blocks the things on that list, some sites scripts can tell they are being blocked and put up nags. The sites aren't directly viewing your settings, but they can tell from the page behavior that you have a blocker. I doubt Mozilla will do much of anything that will help you with these problems. The best solution I can think of is to go back to using an adblocker - Ublock Origin, if you use it as the only security extension in your browser to avoid conflicts, and turn off the firefox tracking protection. Ublock Origin will block the trackers, but will also in most cases get the webpages to work and avoid the adblock detected nags. If there are a few sites you want to allow ads on, you can click the shield and click to allow for that site.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you try clearing cookies for the sites in question?

Do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Calm down dude. Software ever set/reset settings to avoid distinction. So Mozilla did. If you don't use a default profile, set your options, using extension in pre-quantum area dont have benefit. Create a fresh profile to get rid of pre-quantum remnants, copy required files to new profile and start over.

User habits in changing vital settings is over.
weebit

Post by weebit »

lasardo wrote:The tracking protection feature functions a lot like an adblocker, it gets a list provided by Disconnect, it blocks the things on that list, some sites scripts can tell they are being blocked and put up nags. The sites aren't directly viewing your settings, but they can tell from the page behavior that you have a blocker. I doubt Mozilla will do much of anything that will help you with these problems. The best solution I can think of is to go back to using an adblocker - Ublock Origin, if you use it as the only security extension in your browser to avoid conflicts, and turn off the firefox tracking protection. Ublock Origin will block the trackers, but will also in most cases get the webpages to work and avoid the adblock detected nags. If there are a few sites you want to allow ads on, you can click the shield and click to allow for that site.

I am pretty sure at this point if I untick the tracking options I would be good to go on Firefox. There is nothing else to fix in Firefox. But the thing is what is the point of even having these options in Firefox if you can't use them? What is the WHOLE point of being able to pick and choose what you want to see in Firefox, and the options if the sites you visit does this for you and if you don't like their settings then tough s?

just saying
weebit

Post by weebit »

DanRaisch wrote:Did you try clearing cookies for the sites in question?

Do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Yes I did that and History too. And yes the crap with a new profile.
weebit

Post by weebit »

Brummelchen wrote:Calm down dude. Software ever set/reset settings to avoid distinction. So Mozilla did. If you don't use a default profile, set your options, using extension in pre-quantum area dont have benefit. Create a fresh profile to get rid of pre-quantum remnants, copy required files to new profile and start over.

User habits in changing vital settings is over.
(same answer different user)
I am pretty sure at this point if I untick the tracking options I would be good to go on Firefox. There is nothing else to fix in Firefox. But the thing is what is the point of even having these options in Firefox if you can't use them? What is the WHOLE point of being able to pick and choose what you want to see in Firefox, and the options if the sites you visit does this for you and if you don't like their settings then tough s?
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

Adblocking / privacy has always been an arms race. There are two possible bits of good news - in Firefox 63 and 65 partial (not full) tracking protection may be turned on by default. Perhaps websites will have to tolerate it when it is the default setting if they don't want to lose Firefox users. Second - for me, if I do see an adblock detected nag, most of the time, maybe 70%, if I just hit F5 (refresh) the page loads without the nag and works. And, if you use noscript or another script blocker, you can certainly block nags on pages, however often they still won't work. You can also as they say vote with your pocketbook - if a page nags you, send them some complaint mail, and patronize their competitor instead.
weebit

Post by weebit »

lasardo wrote:Adblocking / privacy has always been an arms race. There are two possible bits of good news - in Firefox 63 and 65 partial (not full) tracking protection may be turned on by default. Perhaps websites will have to tolerate it when it is the default setting if they don't want to lose Firefox users. Second - for me, if I do see an adblock detected nag, most of the time, maybe 70%, if I just hit F5 (refresh) the page loads without the nag and works. And, if you use noscript or another script blocker, you can certainly block nags on pages, however often they still won't work. You can also as they say vote with your pocketbook - if a page nags you, send them some complaint mail, and patronize their competitor instead.

Yes but we shouldn't have to deal with this crap in the first place. Maybe we need a deep void folder, let the sites think they won but in reality they didn't it just went to the void folder which shows nothing in the browser, junk instead of cookies or trackers and to be deleted as soon as you leave the site. Nice to set the folder as there but not scanable or something so they can't tell if you enabled it or not. A true stealth. ~just dreaming
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

sorry guys
"to avoid distinction"
crap auto crrection fools me again.

"to avoid disfunction" should be right word.

some experience:
changing from pre-quantum (v54) to quantum (early v57) there were not much change.
i created a new profile, copied my files and set some options. then i compared to old profile and changed again some options.
i also have no tracking and those things. some i reset in the past because firefox misbehave. other were added from mozilla and are in use.

my extensions did not change much, i search for alternatives, some i transformed from chrome and most of them are official available on AMO.

my user habit dont changed much, all is working like charm.

your words sound you have upgraded from some older version to firefox quantum aera now. the problem is ofc on your site because quantum is valid since firefox 57 -> around 13-Nov-2017.

the truth is that there exist no more any pre- quantum firefox wich is up to date and secure. even 52esr has been phased out and replaced with 60esr - which is also quantum inside - 52esr has no more updates since early september (last release in august).

at least users refusing quantum had a 9 month period to get along with its changes.

what you also pointed out that you have some vision in mind that the whole world is spying on you. you should drop it. if you cut down the browser this way you run into trouble sooner than later, it will happen, and ofc it will happen to you and those with same thoughts.

its ok to filter elements with any decent ad blocker, but restricting firefox in its deep settings will result in chaos for you. and thats why mozilla will reset some of them from time to time - it happend more than once. if that will happen, try to set it again and deal with the consequences, if there are any. this forum is full of questions when users changed settings and firefox is misbehaving. (this includes extensions) we are not here to fix personal annoyances to the web or firefox in general.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Brummelchen wrote:what you also pointed out that you have some vision in mind that the whole world is spying on you. you should drop it. if you cut down the browser this way you run into trouble sooner than later, it will happen, and ofc it will happen to you and those with same thoughts.

Uh-huh.. Very funny..https://www.ghacks.net/2018/09/21/mozil ... opulation/
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
weebit

Post by weebit »

Brummelchen wrote:sorry guys
"to avoid distinction"
crap auto crrection fools me again.

"to avoid disfunction" should be right word.

some experience:
changing from pre-quantum (v54) to quantum (early v57) there were not much change.
i created a new profile, copied my files and set some options. then i compared to old profile and changed again some options.
i also have no tracking and those things. some i reset in the past because firefox misbehave. other were added from mozilla and are in use.

my extensions did not change much, i search for alternatives, some i transformed from chrome and most of them are official available on AMO.

my user habit dont changed much, all is working like charm.

your words sound you have upgraded from some older version to firefox quantum aera now. the problem is ofc on your site because quantum is valid since firefox 57 -> around 13-Nov-2017.

the truth is that there exist no more any pre- quantum firefox wich is up to date and secure. even 52esr has been phased out and replaced with 60esr - which is also quantum inside - 52esr has no more updates since early september (last release in august).

at least users refusing quantum had a 9 month period to get along with its changes.

what you also pointed out that you have some vision in mind that the whole world is spying on you. you should drop it. if you cut down the browser this way you run into trouble sooner than later, it will happen, and ofc it will happen to you and those with same thoughts.

its ok to filter elements with any decent ad blocker, but restricting firefox in its deep settings will result in chaos for you. and thats why mozilla will reset some of them from time to time - it happend more than once. if that will happen, try to set it again and deal with the consequences, if there are any. this forum is full of questions when users changed settings and firefox is misbehaving. (this includes extensions) we are not here to fix personal annoyances to the web or firefox in general.

I don't know how many upgrades I have on top of this copy of Firefox. But to give you an idea of how far back to go to find out...you will have to go back to June 2011 because that was when I got this computer - but you have to add a few betas as well I have tried out I don't believe those were tied to this copy of Firefox but still it was on this computer.

As for the spy stuff I am not a nut that continues to think everyone is a spy. But I do worry about it because most people let their guard down, expect their security software to protect them, or put the thought of spyware on the back burner without a care, and history tells us that is when we are the most vulnerable.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

I don't know how many upgrades I have on top of this copy of Firefox.
i can tell from here: since phoenix exists
https://blog.mozilla.org/community/2013 ... f-firefox/

please dont argue on me with changes within the dev line from phoenix to firefox to (firefox) quantum - i have challenged them all with success. this includes all design changes, using + losing themes and extensions.
But I do worry about it because most people let their guard down, expect their security software to protect them, or put the thought of spyware on the back burner without a care, and history tells us that is when we are the most vulnerable.
there is nothing wrong to keep privacy private - so i do. but i cant prevent web sites reading out my user agent and some more - but as long i dont change that much to be unique all be well. anonymizing or changing or anything beyond makes the user more unique than he thinks. leave as much untouched but keep the sniffing parts out.
James

Post by James »

Firefox 1.5.0.x was earliest to have internal software updates much as exists now. Firefox 1.0.x did have software update but quite the same.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

weebit wrote:I am pretty sure at this point if I untick the tracking options I would be good to go on Firefox. There is nothing else to fix in Firefox. But the thing is what is the point of even having these options in Firefox if you can't use them? What is the WHOLE point of being able to pick and choose what you want to see in Firefox, and the options if the sites you visit does this for you and if you don't like their settings then tough s?
You choose the terms on which you load sites, but sites aren't forced to give you their content on your terms. Everyone has choice here.