Stable Version of FF to run offline under Windows XP?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Clueless in Seattle

Stable Version of FF to run offline under Windows XP?

Post by Clueless in Seattle »

I've got an old laptop running Windows XP that I'd like to use as a dedicated word processor without any Internet connection. My idea is that by keeping the laptop isolated from the Internet I can avoid two major distractions:
  • 1. malware infection and
    2. time wasted web surfing
My plan is to download any needed software to my PC, scan it for malware and then copy it to a flash drive for transfer to the laptop.

One problem I've run into is that one of the programs I've downloaded doesn't seem to have a text based user manual. All of the documentation is in the form of web pages. So I've had to download and copy the web pages over to my laptop. Which means I'm going to need to install a version of Firefox on the laptop so I can read the documentation.

Since I won't ever have the laptop connected to the Internet, I'd prefer to use an older and more familiar version of Firefox (I still haven't figured out how to use the version of Firefox Quantum which installed itself on my PC without warning recently).

I'd be grateful for a recommendations of an older, stable version of Firefox which would run well under Windows XP

Re: Stable Version of FF to run offline under Windows XP?

Post by lasardo »

XP was usually 32-bit, so you want a 32-bit Firefox. Firefox Quantum / any version above 52 does not work on XP. Although security does not matter in this case, unless you want to run a very old extension or a plugin, I don't know of any stability problem with Firefox ESR 52.9. http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rele ... n32/en-US/ If your system is slow, disabling hardware acceleration and maybe even disabling multiprocess could make Firefox 52.9 work better.
Clueless in Seattle

Post by Clueless in Seattle »

Thanks, guys! I just downloaded it and will take it for a spin on the laptop.

I suspect that that may have been the very version I was running on my PC before I gullibly clicked the update button a few weeks ago and without warning ended up with Quantum.
James

Post by James »

lasardo wrote:XP was usually 32-bit, so you want a 32-bit Firefox. Firefox Quantum / any version above 52 does not work on XP.
Even if a WinXP or Vista user had a 64-bit version of the OS, only the 32-bit Firefox would run anyways. The 64-bit (Win64) Firefox builds of any version for Windows requires 64-bit Windows 7, 8 (8.1), 10 to run.

The Firefox 52 ESR was made for Enterprise users in mind. It was a bonus that it was a option for WinXP and Vista users to still have a updated version for a while yet and not be without a option since Firefox 53.0 Released last year on April 19, 2017.
therube

Post by therube »

Even if a WinXP or Vista user had a 64-bit version of the OS, only the 32-bit Firefox would run anyways. The 64-bit (Win64) Firefox builds of any version for Windows requires 64-bit Windows 7, 8 (8.1), 10 to run.
Well I'll be. I never realized that. And you're right.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript