MozillaZine

Clicking History items not working for Youtubes (only)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GatesIsAntiChrist

Post Posted October 11th, 2018, 2:32 am

When I Ctrl-H and click on an item it opens the page for anything except fails every time if it's on youtube.com. I'm not positive when this began but I would estimate it to be in October of 2018; possibly September. 61.0.2, Windows 7 desktop, AdBlock Plus, NoScript 10.1.6.2, and a few others that seem very unrelated.

BTW I *believe* that something uber-rudely upgraded me to 62.0.3 without my permission (though I MIGHT have fat fingered to agree to install); but performance was so poor that I rolled back to 61.0.2. (FWIW, at possibly the very same time, something changed my Win 7 option, which had been to review and decide on Windows Updates, altering the setting to make them install automatically.)
M$ Outlook: Preview on:spam initated!and/or virus ignited! Preview off:you CAN'T view the message header. You must OPEN the message to view the ALREADY DOWNLOADED HEADER! No joke-try it! Say it with me: M$ DOES NOT UNDERSTAND COMPUTERS!

GatesIsAntiChrist

Post Posted October 11th, 2018, 6:13 pm

GatesIsAntiChrist wrote:When I Ctrl-H and click on an item it opens the page for anything except fails every time if it's on youtube.com. I'm not positive when this began but I would estimate it to be in October of 2018; possibly September. 61.0.2, Windows 7 desktop, AdBlock Plus, NoScript 10.1.6.2, and a few others that seem very unrelated.

Also - much worse - any youtube address in the URL bar is ignored. If I type http://www.youtube.com and hit enter nothing happens. Other domains are fine. What could cause this??

Note, I CAN click the youtube link in this message successfully, and CAN get in from a Google link. But the same ones fail every time in Control-H history and the URL bar.

GatesIsAntiChrist

Post Posted October 11th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Another add-on I didn't mention is McAfee Webadvisor. But all of these have been fine for many weeks; this bizarre thing just began in the past week or maybe 2.

It's worse than just an inconvenience. Besides, I can't do modified URLS either - and those are *not* available in Google :(

dickvl

Post Posted October 11th, 2018, 8:54 pm

I would suggest to check for malware as this might be a possible cause.
https://support.mozilla.org/kb/troubles ... ed-malware

GatesIsAntiChrist

Post Posted October 12th, 2018, 3:15 am

Obviously good advice. Malwarebytes didn't indicate anything. I did try rebooting before anything. But like a fool I never tried SAFE MODE. And it worked. So I restarted normally and removed add-ons one by one. The last one I tried, because it's probably THE most trustworthy and bulletproof was NoScript.

AIEEEEE! NoScript is the culprit. What the ???!!! I "don't want to live" without NoScript. What steps should I take? (And I've never back-versioned NoScript - why would I !!)

Meanwhile, I can painfully limp by, by disabling noscript, loading the desired youtube URL, and reenabling it; once it's in the Session collection, at least I'll have the page always available. But while NoScript is enabled, I still can't type it into the URL bar or click on one of them in History, unless I do the disable/enable dance.

Note, greenlighting youtube.com in NoScript is not the answer. Greenlighting lets youtubes play once the page is loaded, but doesn't solve the problem I'm having.

GatesIsAntiChrist

Post Posted October 12th, 2018, 3:17 am

I can't even go "back" (alt left-arrow) to a youtube page while NoScript is enabled. Whatttttt??

I'll try redownloading and reinstalling NoScript as a first stab.

LIMPET235

Post Posted October 12th, 2018, 3:23 am

Hi,
May I suggest that you go & ask Georgio about the problem?
He loves feedback.
> https://forums.informaction.com/viewforum.php?f=3
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-57.0-61.0-62.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.11.0.
RadioYachting. (Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

GatesIsAntiChrist

Post Posted October 13th, 2018, 7:37 pm

Yes, Georgio has a magnificent product and nobly supports it, as it is one of the important pieces of P.C. software. One of his volunteers solved it; an apparently rather invisible setting had been changed there. The solution arose from examining the Browser Console (Ctrl-Shift-J) in FX and working from there to the NoScript settings (which can be exported to a TXT, modified, and re-imported).

If anyone is running NoScript, or even if they're not, and you have a peculiar inability to reach some domain (as I did), check the Firefox Browser Console for clues to solving it.

Disappointing that no one made that suggestion here right off the bat. :( Now that I've seen the console, it should now be a no-brainer even for little inexperienced me to check that first.

jscher2000

Post Posted Yesterday, 9:08 am

GatesIsAntiChrist wrote:Yes, Georgio has a magnificent product and nobly supports it, as it is one of the important pieces of P.C. software. One of his volunteers solved it; an apparently rather invisible setting had been changed there.

What setting is it? Or can you link to the relevant thread?

Return to Firefox Support