How does Firefox know which of the 4 processes owns which ta

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
fsckDsk

How does Firefox know which of the 4 processes owns which ta

Post by fsckDsk »

Firefox newly started using multiprocessing similar to Google Chrome, except all tabs are split to four processes instead of one process per tab.

How does Firefox determine which tab goes to which process?
dickvl

Re: How does Firefox know which of the 4 processes owns whic

Post by dickvl »

Firefox uses one process for the main Firefox thread (user interface)
There can be one or more content processes set via Options -> General -> Performance
You need to remove checkmark to see the current performance settings: "Use recommended performance settings"
On Windows there is an additional process for the compositor thread (graphics) to make it possible to restart this process in case of issues with the graphics display driver.

You can find the current multi-process state on the Troubleshooting Information page.
Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Application Basics: Multiprocess Windows and Web Content Processes

See also:
https://support.mozilla.org/kb/performance-settings
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

fsckDsk wrote:How does Firefox determine which tab goes to which process?
Mozilla has a bunch of wiki pages where you might be able to find this information. The code name for multiprocess was Electrolysis, so some of the pages may be under that.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Doing a Measure at about:memory and going to about:performance and expanding out a site (clicking "more") will give detail on what Process ID is doing what.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Please educate me. I'm content knowing FFox is using my system's multi-processor capabilities. Why would want to know which processor is doing what?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Firefox newly started
electrolysis starts long ago
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis
was "on" since firefox 48 if the requirements were met (e10s compatible extensions).
and firefox 48 was released around 01-Aug-2016 - this is now 2 years ago - new?
Why would want to know which processor is doing what?
for me its just a footnote - chromium builds have taskmanager - for my nosiness.
firefox its capabilities to control tasks and to recover them and pages and more is working well. while main thread is still working.