Made new profile; now has awkward URL autocompletion/suggest

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GatesIsAntiChrist

Made new profile; now has awkward URL autocompletion/suggest

Post by GatesIsAntiChrist »

I created a new profile and tried to imitate the prior one's options but one thing is operating funny. When I type in the top URL bar
goog
I expect to see as many visited URLs as will fit on the screen that contain GOOG in the URL (or in the webpage title or in my Bookmark name), and, highly usefully, those which are currently open among my numerous FX windows, so I can arrow to or click to switch to (or open) the listed URL. (I've also gotten quite spoiled on seeing the most frequent or most recent ones atop the list.) This isn't working right.

Peculiarly, I have to hit a backspace in order to see anything. So I have to type G O O G and hit backspace for it to say GOO, and then I'll see choices with GOO in them. It also shows search suggestions that I have no interest in like "Google weather" or "How to use Google" whereas I just want history items for URLs I've visited.

Does this suggest some option setting? Thanks.
GatesIsAntiChrist

Re: Made new profile; now has awkward URL autocompletion/sug

FWIW Control+D doesn't function in the new profile and is grayed out under alt-B. Restarting with places.sqlite deleted did not solve it. I'll keep the profile to test any answers or theories you come up with, but meanwhile I'll assume that in astonishing bad luck that a newly created profile went corrupt nearly immediately.

I'm having separate problems that only occur when NoScript is enabled; NoScript might be a factor in this problem too. The only 2 add-ons on the new profile are NoScript (which I freshly installed from their site) and McAfee WebAdvisor (which found some way to get itself added on and enabled without any action by me).
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

So you created a new profile and basically installed the same crap all over again without testing to see if the new clean one fixed your problems ](*,)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
GatesIsAntiChrist

malliz, if you call the setting of Firefox options "crap", or call NoScript "crap", that's very special of you. Thank you for your useful contribution.
M$ Outlook: Preview on:spam initated!and/or virus ignited! Preview off:you CAN'T view the message header. You must OPEN the message to view the ALREADY DOWNLOADED HEADER! No joke-try it! Say it with me: M$ DOES NOT UNDERSTAND COMPUTERS!
GatesIsAntiChrist

AMOQ, in part - under FX options/search/Default Search engine, unchecked "Provide search suggestions." As to the bookmark trouble, it went away with a new profile.

I'm grudgingly going to a new profile because I tweaked the old one over years to be perfect, and it's a grind to get all my customizations working the same in the new one - like the little issue above and so many others. (I assume that "refresh" loses customizations too).
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

GatesIsAntiChrist wrote:(I assume that "refresh" loses customizations too).
Yes, that's the point of it. :-)

It is supposed to keep bookmarks and some other data: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/refresh- ... d-settings