Where are passwords stored?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GudgeonPin

Where are passwords stored?

Post by GudgeonPin »

Ubuntu 16.04, FFx 62.0.3

I changed a site login password and I never got asked if I wanted to update it in FFx Store Logins. A surprise.

I went into Setup and deleted it thinking I'd be asked if I wanted to save it the next time I logged into that site, but I was not asked when I did log in.

Since I cannot add a login manually to the stored Logins, I thought I just restore from yesterdays daily backup and change the login and password. I did that but the login is still missing from the list. My backup saves ".mozilla" and all it contains in the home folder on the assumption that everything important is stored there.

But it seems not as even restoring back 3 or 4 days, that login entry is still missing. Clearly they are being stored somewhere else and that is worry as it seems I can no longer use the auto-fill for that site.

BUT, I need to add that FFx password storage location to my backup list. Sooo, where is it?
Cary G.
Brummelchen

Re: Where are passwords stored?

Post by Brummelchen »

if you dont see it in settings > privacy/passwords you should check your site permissions* if passwords are allowed to store for this page. hint: this is a page setting, not to edit in firefox settings.

* click on the padlock and follow site permissions.
GudgeonPin

Post by GudgeonPin »

OK, the website was in the never-save Exceptions list and I certainly have never agreed to it being in there.

Am I correct in assuming that the website Javascript placed itself in the Exceptions list? That's irritating.
Cary G.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

no, nothing can do this except user. or its a setting from an earlier version were it was set in settings, not page permissions. that was a major change to put so many settings per page in permissions.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can always double-click username and password field in the Password Manager to edit a stored login record.
Passwords are stored in logins.json in the profile folder and current Firefox releases use key4.db for the key file.

Location used for the main profile that keeps your personal data (Root Directory on the about:profiles page).
~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile>/