MozillaZine

Bookmark toolbar icons keep corrupting

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BillK
 
Posts: 63
Joined: April 27th, 2005, 7:52 pm

Post Posted October 18th, 2018, 1:01 am

I have to reset my toolbar icons from time to time (last time was about 10 days ago). Eventually they will all the the same as the favicon from some site I visit. Tonight, it's 12News, but it's been plenty of others before. My SDD isn't corrupt. Why does the sqlite file keep getting corrupted? What is being done to solve this issue?

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 120609
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted October 18th, 2018, 4:41 am

Moving to Firefox Support as no bug has yet been identified here.

costark
 
Posts: 313
Joined: July 14th, 2004, 5:03 am

Post Posted October 18th, 2018, 6:07 am

===================================
B4 the experts show up dickvl offered this suggestion in another Thread - IF you haven't tried this already.

To muddy the water, a completely Missing Bookmarks Toolbar was fixed via a line Deletion in -- prefs.js -- or by Un-chking "Open in Previous Session" in (Options), Close/Re-Open FF.
Point being the Fix wasn't That intuitive, so your solution may be other than places.sqlite.

dickvl wrote:You can check for problems with the places.sqlite database file in the Firefox profile folder that stores bookmarks and history.
There is a "Verify Integrity" button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" page (about:support) that you can first try.
In case errors are reported then close and restart Firefox and retry "Verify Integrity".
----- In about:support ....Drag your side-bar almost to Bottom and 6th Item from bottom is -- Places Database / Verify Integrity -----

Also see:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_dam ... ces.sqlite
Firefox 64.0 (64) - Win 7-64 Hm Prem - Hm-Stdnt Ofce '10 - ESET EIS - Mbam Prem v3 - DK PRO '15 - NO Java or Flash - How Many Letters in Mozilla is 6 (unique letters), NOT Actual 7 -

tomatoshadow2

User avatar
 
Posts: 364
Joined: May 11th, 2017, 9:52 am

Post Posted October 18th, 2018, 10:51 am

@Billk, if you want to talk about bugs in Firefox, you need STRs, do you have any? Otherwise as Dan said, no bug is shown.

BillK
 
Posts: 63
Joined: April 27th, 2005, 7:52 pm

Post Posted October 19th, 2018, 1:10 pm

tomatoshadow2 wrote:@Billk, if you want to talk about bugs in Firefox, you need STRs, do you have any? Otherwise as Dan said, no bug is shown.


Hi, and thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I don't know what an STR is, or how to create one. Please advise.

BillK
 
Posts: 63
Joined: April 27th, 2005, 7:52 pm

Post Posted October 19th, 2018, 1:19 pm

costark wrote:===================================
B4 the experts show up dickvl offered this suggestion in another Thread - IF you haven't tried this already.

To muddy the water, a completely Missing Bookmarks Toolbar was fixed via a line Deletion in -- prefs.js -- or by Un-chking "Open in Previous Session" in (Options), Close/Re-Open FF.
Point being the Fix wasn't That intuitive, so your solution may be other than places.sqlite.

dickvl wrote:You can check for problems with the places.sqlite database file in the Firefox profile folder that stores bookmarks and history.
There is a "Verify Integrity" button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" page (about:support) that you can first try.
In case errors are reported then close and restart Firefox and retry "Verify Integrity".
----- In about:support ....Drag your side-bar almost to Bottom and 6th Item from bottom is -- Places Database / Verify Integrity -----

Also see:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_dam ... ces.sqlite

Many thanks, it looks like the file isn't corrupted I'll bet it's on of my extensions. Odd thing: It only happens on one machine. Another with an identical copy doesn't have the issue.

costark
 
Posts: 313
Joined: July 14th, 2004, 5:03 am

Post Posted October 20th, 2018, 7:59 am

BillK wrote:
costark wrote:===================================

Many thanks, it looks like the file isn't corrupted I'll bet it's on of my extensions. Odd thing: It only happens on one machine. Another with an identical copy doesn't have the issue.

If Opening in FF Safe Mode (Help tab/Troubleshooting/ far Rt = Safe Mode: Restart with Addons Disabled ... doesn't reveal an Extension issue, last resort consider playing with a new Test Profile, too ( many more steps, I know).

Hopefully a usual expert advises something first.
Firefox 64.0 (64) - Win 7-64 Hm Prem - Hm-Stdnt Ofce '10 - ESET EIS - Mbam Prem v3 - DK PRO '15 - NO Java or Flash - How Many Letters in Mozilla is 6 (unique letters), NOT Actual 7 -

tpaulr
 
Posts: 414
Joined: June 22nd, 2004, 8:01 am

Post Posted October 21st, 2018, 3:29 am

BillK,

Are you by any chance running FF in Sandboxie?

I ask because starting with FF60, I have had the same issues as you, sounds almost identical.

Each successive update made the situation worse, icons were not rendering, couldn't delete bookmarks, couldn't add bookmarks, a raft of issues (I posted a number of queries here, Mozilla support and Sandboxie support) until I finally deleted everything related to FF after the last 61.xx update and used Portable FF until 62 was launched, about 2 months where I didn't have a permanent FF installation.

I did a fresh install of 62, no changes to the icon issue, however I can now add and delete with no issues, at least thus far.

I am now convinced it is related to Sandboxie, in spite of having the correct preferences in my sandbox to avoid issues like this.

My icons will render in Sandboxie, no problem, but are deleted after every session. This isn't supposed to happen according to Sandboxie support, but it does.

If I run an unsandboxed FF, icons will render and they will remain, even in a sandboxed FF.

I believe there is inherent issues with bookmark management in Quantum, I believe Sandboxie exacerbates the problem.

I took matters into my own hand, moved all my business bookmarks to my desktop in a Word document, the other bookmarks are now a FF add-on (you do have to pay, but it's $1.00/month) called Bookmark OS.

I now keep identical marks in Bookmark OS, Firefox, Portable Firefox and SlimJet - funny thing is, SlimJet as a Chrome Clone, has great bookmark management, never an issue, icons render, they remain, even sandboxed.

I wish I could be of more help, but I do think, at least in my case, Sandboxie was and is the issue.

But, won't run any browser without it being sandboxed, I'd rather give up icons in FF for the safety of Sandboxie.

Maybe this helped... :)

BillK
 
Posts: 63
Joined: April 27th, 2005, 7:52 pm

Post Posted October 22nd, 2018, 2:16 pm

No, I don't run it in a VM like Sandboxie. This problem is frustrating, and a time-waster. I guess, I'll trash them and refresh them again.

Exiled_077
 
Posts: 7
Joined: November 13th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Post Posted October 25th, 2018, 2:20 pm

I've notice this too, ever since Firefox late updated (to v63) my favorites icon keep corrupting everything I close Firefox. What I mean is that I'll visit the site then it will restore the icon but when I exit the browser and re-open it the icons are all gone again! This only started happening with version 63.

lasardo
 
Posts: 164
Joined: September 9th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Post Posted October 25th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Have you tried moving the places.sqlite file and favicons.sqlite files out of the Firefox profile while Firefox is closed - do not delete them just move them? That will restore your bookmarks from the most recent daily JSON backup, they will start with no Favicons and will get one as the site is visited. This could help if one of those sqlite files is corrupt. I have seen other people with this problem although I haven't had it, if you don't want to try this you could search bugzilla for similar bug reports.

tpaulr
 
Posts: 414
Joined: June 22nd, 2004, 8:01 am

Post Posted October 25th, 2018, 3:38 pm

I tried moving those 2 files out, as mentioned, when I first had this issue in FF60.

Didn't work then, doesn't work now.

I spent Tuesday night opening every bookmark I have left in FF, a couple hundred or so, all of the icons rendered with just a handful that didn't.

I did this in FF sandboxed and un-sandboxed.

Wednesday morning after I booted up and opened FF, they were all gone, back to the default icons, every single one of them, even the few that remained over the past month or so. ](*,)

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 120609
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted October 25th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Are you running Ccleaner or any similar type of clean up utility on that system?

Exiled_077
 
Posts: 7
Joined: November 13th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Post Posted October 25th, 2018, 4:35 pm

lasardo wrote:Have you tried moving the places.sqlite file and favicons.sqlite files out of the Firefox profile while Firefox is closed - do not delete them just move them? That will restore your bookmarks from the most recent daily JSON backup, they will start with no Favicons and will get one as the site is visited. This could help if one of those sqlite files is corrupt. I have seen other people with this problem although I haven't had it, if you don't want to try this you could search bugzilla for similar bug reports.

This seems to have fixed my problem, thanks.

tpaulr
 
Posts: 414
Joined: June 22nd, 2004, 8:01 am

Post Posted October 25th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Dan,

No, no cleaner of any kind, never have. Long years on this forum reinforced that proviso.

A complete mystery.

I've tried everything that has been suggested here, Mozilla Community, the Sandboxie forum and Gizmo's since 60.xx.

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests