Bookmark toolbar icons keep corrupting

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tpaulr

Re: Bookmark toolbar icons keep corrupting

Post by tpaulr »

Lasardo, thank you...I will stop posting on this thread. However, I think these issues are all inextricable.

1. I am going delete everything and start with another clean profile. If something gets corrupted within a few days, I'll copy from one of my laptops.

I have to create a new again profile to rid myself of the list of downloads that are now stuck in the latest new profile, the list that prompted my last posting.

2. As for bookmarks, the last restore list isn't current, it's from about 2 weeks ago. I assume that's what you mean by recreating. But, yes, right now they are imported.

How do I get the list current?

3. I tried Windows Defender, updates were very problematic and I uninstalled it.

4. I just run Portable Firefox from a USB drive in Sandboxie. Firefox (installed) is my default in Sandboxie, I just don't run it right now.

I will start another thread if this doesn't work...

Again, thank you. :)
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

1. As soon as you install any extension, a profile is not clean. If you do need to make another post make sure to mention any extensions you use.
2. For the bookmarks, to be sure nothing bad is carried over, I did not mean to restore or import anything. If you have less than a few dozen bookmarks, I meant: with totally new profile, type in blahnews.com enter, click star. Type in blahblahnews.com enter, click star. Etc.
3. Other antivirus software to me is terrible. Perhaps run naked (with none)? If you are going to run without antivirus software, make TWO SETS of staggered, frequent full system backups. One month, backup to external drive one, 2nd month backup to external drive two. Then, if you get hit with a virus but do not notice until you have already wiped out one backup, you will have an older one that may be clean.
4. Portable Firefox is not designed to be Windows default browser, hopefully it can work, I'm not sure. I don't know what "default in Sandboxie" means. One possible solution to your problems could be to totally get rid of Sandboxie from your computer.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

3. I tried Windows Defender, updates were very problematic and I uninstalled it.
What sort of problems did you have with Windows Defender updates? Usually they are totally transparent.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Dan,

The last few ended up in an endless loop, kept restarting over and over again, not sure the updates successfully downloaded.

This was a few years ago, nothing recent.
Exiled_077

Post by Exiled_077 »

The only temporary fix that sticks so far is to visit the URL(s) of the bookmark(s) that is/are affected by the problem so that it loads the favicon(s) and then close Firefox and make the file 'favicons.sqlite' read-only so that Firefox doesn't corrupt it at random. The draw-back with this however is that if you make a new bookmark Firefox wont be able to update 'favicons.sqlite' unless you give it write-access again then you would have to make the file read-only again after closing Firefox.....tedious but again it's the only temporary fix that sticks.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

Exiled_077 - Can you confirm you do not have the Reddit Enhancement Suite extension?

For tpaulr this was not acceptable, but for you it might be - if Firefox 60 worked for you, you can run Firefox 60 ESR until at least July, and if you decline it advancing to the ESR 68 branch, you can run it until around October 2019. Beyond that, note that Firefox can take a minute to shut down properly, 2 minutes on an ancient computer. If you shut down Windows after closing Firefox but without waiting one minute, it could corrupt it. That probably isn't the cause, but otherwise we would be back to speculating. We could consider what is your antivirus, do you use Ccleaner, you said you don't use sandboxie I believe, do you have a SSD that has known firmware bugs. They may not like it because we don't seem to know how to reproduce on all computers, but perhaps it would be worth filing a bug in bugzilla and then if requested posting a corrupted favicons.sqlite file, about:support log - whatever they ask for.
Exiled_077

Post by Exiled_077 »

lasardo,

For me this only started happening when I had updated Firefox to version 63.0, now I'm running version 64 and this issue still persists. As for my system:
-OS------------------------ | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 1809
-Antivirus Software--- | Windows Defender (only)
-Storage------------------ | Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD (WD10EZEX)
-CCleaner---------------- | Yes, everything except saved passwords checked (though this was never a problem with older versions of Firefox)
-Sandboxie-------------- | No, never used it or any other sandbox software like it

I'll try waiting a while, at least 2-5 minutes after Firefox has closed and see if the problem persists.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

Based on your answer if waiting before shutdown does not work I would probably try Firefox ESR. If trouble continues, I would make a new profile and set CCleaner to do nothing to anything Firefox related. If in the end the problem does seem to be CCleaner related you should also post on their support forum.
bender01

Post by bender01 »

My settings:
- third-party cookies are blocked and cookies are deleted when Firefox is closed (with a few exceptions);
- always "Do Not Track";
- history is deleted when Firefox is closed (except cookies and site preferences);
- the bookmarks are on the toolbar next to the back/forward/reload buttons (the bookmark bar is empty and hidden);
- the only active extension is Adblock Plus;
- I have CCleaner and the only Firefox option selected is "cookies" (because of some super cookies that would still remain) but I didn't use it recently and the problem still occurs.

I'm not going to change antivirus or use the portable version only because of a minor bug that's definitely caused by v63. I'm doing some tests with an untouched new profile so I may learn details about the cause, but it's still a bug that needs to be fixed by the developers since it never happened to me before and it's also happening to other users.
atlanto

Post by atlanto »

Disappearing bookmark favicon(as of v63) is new issue and it should not be mixed with former similar issues, IMO.
bender01 wrote:I created a new profile, it took me over a half hour to manually backup e reenter all the settings, preferences, bookmarks and extensions... But it was useless. Some favicons disappear once I reload Firefox (not always, randomly). It only happens with some specific bookmarks, like this one:

Code: Select all

https://store.steampowered.com/explore/new/
I'm pretty sure it started with version 63.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Though I don't have this problem, thanks for this useful information.
Under specific circumstances, it is possible that favicon to be disappeared.
It may not be your case though. I have no workaround also.

fyi, in short, very short...
1. visit unbookmarked page which have same favicon and different host.
2. clear history of 1.
this causes bookmark favicon disappeared.
bender01

Post by bender01 »

I've done some tests like I said and I found the setting that causes the bug:

Clear history when Firefox closes ---> Settings... Browsing history and download history