FF covers it's own taskbar icon so i can't use it

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dazco

FF covers it's own taskbar icon so i can't use it

Post by dazco »

I have a FF icon on the taskbar in windows 7 and when i open a page with FF (quantum) the page's little 2" long bar that arrears on the taskbar covers the FF icon so if i want to open a new FF window i have to minimize FF and have a second FF icon on the desktop to click. If i try and move the taskbar icon to one side or the other or middle, that doesn't help. Wherever i put it the FF taskbar bar (whatever it's called) always goes wherever the icon is and covers it so i can't get to it. Is there a way to change this behavior? I realize i can right click it and chgoose to "open new window". But w/o going into why, i;d like it simply not to cover the icon.
jscher2000

Re: FF covers it's own taskbar icon so i can't use it

Post by jscher2000 »

By default, I think Windows 7 will stack the icons for each window on top of one another. Is that the problem? When you hover the stack of icons, you should get a panel with thumbnails of the open windows, or if you have a lot of them, it will be a list. When you right-click the stack of icons, you should get a Jump List with various Tasks, including Open new window. If you don't have the Tasks section, clicking "Mozilla Firefox" (third item up from the bottom) will launch a new window.
dazco

Post by dazco »

No, thats not it. You are calling the broswer window bars on the taskbar "icons". Those aren't the icons i meant. I meant application shortcuts, the icons for those. Heres what i mean....i have about 12 shortcut icons on the taskbar like outlook, firefox, some 3rd party apps, etc etc The take up about 50% of the task bar from left to about the middle of the screen. Lets say the firefox icon is on the very right and no browser windows are open. Then i open ONE browser window. The little bar from the browser on the taskbar that u were calling icons is now on the taskbar and covering up the FF shortcut icon. If i move that FF shortcut to the very far left, next time i open a browser window the little bar on the taskbar from the browser now sits at the left, again covering the FF shortcut. No matter where i move it the bar from the browser on the task bar covers the FF shortcut.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I'd be checking the settings in the Task Bar...
Right click & check the Properties.
What do you have set for "Task Bar buttons" drop down?
I have "Always combine & hide labels" & "Use small icons."
A bit of experimenting may help you?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dazco

Post by dazco »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
I'd be checking the settings in the Task Bar...
Right click & check the Properties.
What do you have set for "Task Bar buttons" drop down?
I have "Always combine & hide labels" & "Use small icons."
A bit of experimenting may help you?
I have combine when TB is full. Your setting eliminates the browser bar completely and i don't want that because i use it. I just want that to NOT cover up any of the TB shortcuts. And that SHOULD be possible because like i said 1/2 the TB has icons but the other 1/2 is empty and theres no reason it shouldn't go there instead of covering up the FF icon. In fact, this issue happens with ALL taskbar shortcuts. I have for example outlook mail client and when i open that it covers it's own shortcut also. I have 2 other browsers too and they do the same. But with other apps like the mail client it doesn't matter because the browser's are the only apps where i often want multiple windows open so no need to use the TB shortcut when the mail client is already open. Often i will just use one of the other browsers since when FF is open those shortcuts are still available. But that often poses other issues due to the fact FF does many things the others don't and when i need a second browser window open i usually need it to be FF. Granted, this isn't a issue where i can't do something, i CAN. But it's just a PITA when i do it many times in a day and i have to jump thru a few hoops to do it instead of a single click.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

dazco wrote:In fact, this issue happens with ALL taskbar shortcuts. I have for example outlook mail client and when i open that it covers it's own shortcut also. I have 2 other browsers too and they do the same.
Exactly. That is how Windows does it.

My impression was that the only reason you cared about having access to the original icon was to launch a new window. Try using one of the Jump List methods for that instead.
dazco

Post by dazco »

Jump list? Not sure what that is, but if it;s not a 1 click solution it's of no use to me because i can do it other ways. the point was to be able to one click the TB shortcut.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

If you hold the shift key while clicking the covered Firefox taskbar icon it will open a new Firefox window. Note that session saving is most reliable if you use all tabs within one window and never open a 2nd window. This works for all or at least most other programs as well.
dazco

Post by dazco »

I dunno how u knew that but it worked, thanks !
therube

Post by therube »

Might have a look at, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

dazco wrote:Jump list? Not sure what that is, but if it;s not a 1 click solution it's of no use to me because i can do it other ways. the point was to be able to one click the TB shortcut.
As I explained originally, Jump List is what Windows displays with you right-click an icon on the Windows Taskbar. But since you then need to click an item on the menu and you can only handle one click, never mind.
dazco

Post by dazco »

I found a even simpler way...instead of left clicking on the bar while holding shift, all i have to do is click on it with the wheel button. The mouse is programmable but my default windows profile for it has the wheel button set to it's default which i guess is for that scroll function, but i never use that. But i found by accident if i just use the wheel button to click on the browser's taskbar bar, a new window opens.

Crazy thing about these browsers is you get forced to upgrade by various websites you need like banking or whatever, then when you do everything you liked about it goes away and you have to find new ways to make them work which is successful for some but not all. I try never to upgrade till i i am forced but then i have to jump thru hoops for months or even years. So ridiculous. They need to find a new word because it's NEVER an "upgrade" !
therube

Post by therube »

(Shhh. FF 63 removed the option to not check for updates - unless you specifically go out of your way to disable that disablement.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dazco

Post by dazco »

I have quantum 61.0.1 so i still have the option and its disabled. The day i update from that, which won't be till i'm forced, then I'll have to worry about disabling it in about:config i guess.