Why do so many extensions not work?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

Why do so many extensions not work?

Post by FrankSMS »

I do wonder sometimes if this is just a practical joke. So many don't launch when clicked, don't work when launched or don't even appear on the toolbar or page so you can even launch them. It really is a running joke. Not sure if Chrome has better luck. Are Extension Developers just the bottom of the tech barrel? A place where people go that fail everything else in their field? One does wonder. I've never seen any aspect of tech with such a miserable failure rate.

So I have something called YouTube Downloader MP3 enabled. Got it very recently. Like days ago. Right! Clicking it is rather a fruitless endeavor. Nothing happens. And of course you can't launch it from any other location, or can you? I restarted the browser (fail), removed and reinstalled it (fail)....any other suggestions?
DanRaisch

Re: Why do so many extensions not work?

Post by DanRaisch »

You've made an awfully broad claim based on one identified failure. Is it just YouTube Downloader MP3 that you are finding problematic? Are you confirming that you have the latest version of every extension that is showing those problems? You appear to be running Firefox version 61.x. Are all of the problem extensions identified as compatible with Firefox Quantum (version 57 and higher)?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

This is a support forum, not a whine forum.

YouTube Downloader MP3 enabled works just fine for me on FF63.0.!!! Although, it is very very very slow.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

> Although, it is very very very slow.

So it sends the downloads to your specified Download folder in Firefox? Maybe it was working and I didn't even realize it. I'll check it some more. And keep checking my download folder. Thanks.

> You've made an awfully broad claim based on one identified failure.

As I said, "so many" don't work as claimed. I've had it happen numerous times. The most common problem is an icon that doesn't appear so it can't even be used. They should have another launch button on the info page but they haven't implemented that yet. It would be a great improvement. You don't know if it didn't install properly or something is interfering with its operation. You're just in the dark when you click something and nothing occurs.

And yes, I just downloaded it and Firefox is constantly updating. All my extensions are recent as I wiped them all off a few weeks ago and reinstalled just what I needed. Seemed more thorough.

The whole idea of extensions is a very good concept but I suppose most anyone can release anything and post it. There is a rating system of course but we all know how effective bots can be in skewing the results. Hopefully they'll figure out how to screen out the deadwood.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As I said, "so many" don't work as claimed. I've had it happen numerous times.
Yes, you did say that. But you didn't identify any other extensions that you've found to be problematic, so there is no way for us to tell if the issue is with the extensions by testing them ourselves.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I have 12 extensions installed and they all work as advertised.

Note, YouTube Downloader MP3 does not download the converted file automatically. Once the conversion is done you need to right click the download button that appears and select a location. It helps if you read the directions.

If so many don't work, why don't you identify some.

FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

> If so many don't work, why don't you identify some.

I will in the future. I just thought it was poor quality control or no quality control. As I said the main problems I've been having is icons of the extensions not appearing so they can't be launched or used.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The issue could simply be conflict with another installed extension. That can be particularly true if the two are targeting related functionality. Sometimes only the user can identify the root cause of the problem in their particular installation. That can be done very easily by having a second profile for testing. Installing just the "failing" extension in that test profile with no other extensions installed can show whether the fault is in that one extension or in the profile as a whole, including other extensions.
therube

Post by therube »

Firefox is constantly updating
Yet you're on a old version of FF ;-).
I suppose most anyone can release anything and post it.
Correct.
Even including malware, which is more & more common these days.
There is a rating system of course
Worthless.
Hopefully they'll figure out how to screen out the deadwood.
They have no desire to.
I just thought it was poor quality control or no quality control.
There is no quality control.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

FrankSMS wrote:I will in the future.
That sounds like your complaining is nothing more than whining.

mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Is it this ? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... oader-mp3/ if so, anyone bother to read the reviews ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »

At least they're up front:
Note:
This addon utilizes cookies to track users across the web and generate small revenue whenever possible by it being installed on a user's browser

Note: Default search will be forwarded to Yahoo upon accepting monetistion of Addon

Please see https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... f/privacy/ for tracking information related to this addon
And that is good enough for Mozilla.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

mightyglydd wrote:Is it this ? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... oader-mp3/ if so, anyone bother to read the reviews ?
I did and know why it is rated as junk. It took 34 minutes to convert a 1 minute and 11 second youtube video to mp3. I have a freeware converter on my Mac that does it in about 12 seconds.

therube

Post by therube »

I have a freeware converter on my Mac that does it in about 12 seconds
Converting, that is not possible.
Well, unless you have a very, very fast computer ;-).

If the source file already contains mp3 audio, the extraction (not conversion) should take < 12 seconds.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

> Yet you're on a old version of FF

Wow...thought it was updating automatically. Its fixed now. Thanks.

> That sounds like your complaining is nothing more than whining.

Well now that I'm updated hopefully the whining will be reduced!

> The issue could simply be conflict with another installed extension.

I was thinking about that. And I remember reading a warning about that. It makes sense. If they are both trying to work with the same data it could conceivably cause huge problems. Your suggestion about a 2nd profile for testing with nothing else installed on it sounds very logical. An excellent test.

>> I suppose most anyone can release anything and post it.
> Correct. Even including malware, which is more & more common these days.

I'll make sure I read the reviews. I trusted the extensions way too much before because they looked like they were affiliated with Mozilla on the Add-Ons page. Clearly they are completely independent.

> There is no quality control.

So the comments are the best way to gauge it? Or the only way to gauge the worth of the extension?