Save Tabs on Exit no longer working in version 63.0

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
TigerClaw

Save Tabs on Exit no longer working in version 63.0

Post by TigerClaw »

Seems like the Saves Tabs on Exit is no longer working. I do have browser.ShowQuitWarning in about:config set to True. But now its no longer showing the option.
jscher2000

Re: Save Tabs on Exit no longer working in version 63.0

Post by jscher2000 »

Is your Firefox set to restore your previous session windows and tabs automatically?
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

jscher2000 wrote:Is your Firefox set to restore your previous session windows and tabs automatically?
Nope. I dont have that checked. It was never checked even from the previous version. But it seems browser.ShowQuitWarning in about:config no longer has any affect on it. Something must've changed in this version
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

Others are reporting the same thing. But it seems Firefox removed it on this version.
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... _and_quit/
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1438499

It looks like i will have to switch over to using Waterfox. Which is using the same assets as Firefox
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

I was confused, I was thinking of this one:

browser.warnOnQuit => true (default)

I don't know what that other one does.
TigerClaw wrote:It looks like i will have to switch over to using Waterfox. Which is using the same assets as Firefox
I think Waterfox is a fork of Firefox 56.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

jscher2000 wrote:I was confused, I was thinking of this one:

TigerClaw wrote:It looks like i will have to switch over to using Waterfox. Which is using the same assets as Firefox
Yeah. And the only one that allows Saving Tabs on Exit.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

is that an extension?
i dont have problems recovering sessions on startup or later.
if you dont use private mode then it could be a damaged session file or a damaged profile - create a new one.
deleting history on exit results in same loss of any session data, no tabs to load or recover.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

Brummelchen wrote:is that an extension?
i dont have problems recovering sessions on startup or later.
if you dont use private mode then it could be a damaged session file or a damaged profile - create a new one.
deleting history on exit results in same loss of any session data, no tabs to load or recover.
Nope not an extension. But anyways. Looks like Wsterfox is the only way to go until they add it back.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

then you have no luck, but i forgot some possibility - external cleaners. you have now all options, but i can tell you that it is NOT firefox made.

btw - if you want to tell us that you open same profile with v62 (current ist v63) and otherwise with waterfox which is build 56 - ofc that MUST result in profile damage. dont you know? thats really bad luck - create a new profile!
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

Brummelchen wrote:then you have no luck, but i forgot some possibility - external cleaners. you have now all options, but i can tell you that it is NOT firefox made.

btw - if you want to tell us that you open same profile with v62 (current ist v63) and otherwise with waterfox which is build 56 - ofc that MUST result in profile damage. dont you know? thats really bad luck - create a new profile!
Actually Waterfox is using a separate profile in another location. Same profile I used for Firefox. But another copy of it.
therube

Post by therube »

What I saw...

If you have FF set to restore its session on startup, then Quit does not prompt.
(Wait... Maybe it does, now, in any case. Maybe that was what was new.)
Start up loads the previous session.

If you do not have FF set to restore its session on startup, then Quit does prompt (this is new).
On startup, FF does not load the previous session, but it is still available to manually load from the History menu.

I did not see an instance where the session was not restored, when expected.

---

In SeaMonkey, I have it set to load a blank page on startup.

Though... when you quit, you are (optionally) asked whether to "save your tabs for the next time SeaMonkey starts"?

Save and Quit | Quit | Cancel

Save & quit, does that & on next startup, your session is restored.
Quit, does that, & on next start up, a blank page is loaded.
Cancel, does that, no action is taken.

(SeaMonkey can also be set to [automatically] restore your previous session.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

TigerClaw wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:I was confused, I was thinking of this one:

Yeah. And the only one that allows Saving Tabs on Exit.
As far as I know, the default behavior of Firefox is to save previous session tabs and make them available after your next startup via the menu option "Restore Previous Session". Unless you prefer that Firefox NOT save your session history, it seems that being prompted to accept the default behavior was a bit of a waste of time. What am I missing?
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

The prompt to save tabs on exit got removed. All I get is the warning prompt. And no I don't want to check to restore the session when I start Firefox. The save tabs on exit prompt worked when that was unchecked. Let's face it. This new version completely removed it.
unam

Post by unam »

This is a big problem. Sometimes you want it to save your previous session and sometimes you don't. Sometimes opening Firefox and seeing a bunch of tabs open lets the person that opens it after you know that you were in the middle of something and that they shouldn't close your tabs. An "always restore previous session" setting doesn't cut it. The option to restore your previous session only works if you're the only person using the computer and you remember to do it.

The "Save and Quit" prompt in every previous version is the perfect solution. Sure, you had to turn it on in about:config, but lots of people did that.

Why would they remove something that many people find crucial? I've rolled back to 62 and turned off automatic updating. Hopefully they put this back. What a forehead-smacker.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

unam wrote:This is a big problem. Sometimes you want it to save your previous session and sometimes you don't. Sometimes opening Firefox and seeing a bunch of tabs open lets the person that opens it after you know that you were in the middle of something and that they shouldn't close your tabs. An "always restore previous session" setting doesn't cut it. The option to restore your previous session only works if you're the only person using the computer and you remember to do it.

The "Save and Quit" prompt in every previous version is the perfect solution. Sure, you had to turn it on in about:config, but lots of people did that.

Why would they remove something that many people find crucial? I've rolled back to 62 and turned off automatic updating. Hopefully they put this back. What a forehead-smacker.
Exactly. Why would they remove that if more then one person shares a computer and using the same browser.