Wanted: Method to move a full viewport width to the right

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mueller

Wanted: Method to move a full viewport width to the right

Post by mueller »

Hi.

Moving a full viewport height down is easy. Pressing the space key does the job. Or you can use the key "Page down" on the keyboard.

I'm looking for a method to do exactly the same, but horizontally. I want to move one full viewport width to the right.

Do you know any method/extensions/script which solves the task?

Background Info:
I working at a responsive multi-column layout for reading long texts. Without a method to move on full viewport width a multi column layout is unusable.

If you are intested in a look at the testcase: https://borumat.de/-/zeitungssatz-mehrspaltig

Thanks for your help.
DanRaisch

Re: Wanted: Method to move a full viewport width to the righ

Post by DanRaisch »

Doesn't one click on the horizontal scroll bar provide the action you are looking for?
mueller

Post by mueller »

Yes, clicking into the bar at the right from slider does the job. But it is not easy enough to use. I need a method, which works with the keys arrow right/left.

And: the default in some browsers, in Firefox as well, is not to show the scroll bars as long you do not interact.
TrueFalcon

Post by TrueFalcon »

I have an MX Master Logitech mouse which has a horizontal scrolling button, but alas, its speed is too slow for what you want and it has no page option. But then I remembered I have a addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search Scroll Anywhere which I have set up to drag and scroll when I hold the right button. And it works great sideways on your page! Try it; it may be what you're looking for. ;-)
mueller

Post by mueller »

Thanks for the idea.

I'm not sure, if I understand what is exactly the intended function.

But:
I usa mouse without a middle key (magic mouse from apple). So now way to test it.

And:
Usually I prefer keyboard keys for comparable functions.

May be someone knows a solution to "map" the arrow keys to the function to move a full viewport width horizontally.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

CTRL+Right arrow will move the view horizontally but not "one viewport" at a time. Holding down those two keys until the fourth column (in your example site) etc. would be possible, if less than your desired ideal solution.
mueller

Post by mueller »

Thanks. I know, that horizontal scrolling by key is possible. You don't need the CTRL key. Right arrow alone works.

But as wrote in my first post "Without a method to move on full viewport width a multi column layout is unusable."

It is not a question of taste.

Scrolling a multi column layout disorients the eye of the reader.

What I'm looking for is no exotical function for paged media. Think of eBook-Reader. Of course you have easy to use gestures to move one viewport to the right/left.

I hope there will be an extension for Firefox or a Javascript which solves the task.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

F9 to put the page into "Reading Mode". Then you can use spacebar to go down a full viewport, because the content becomes a single column. This is more of a "workaround", I know. As the page is not in my language, I have no idea if any content is lost in reading mode. I did not see the header for "Artikel 1" or "Artikel 2" while in reading mode.

Incidentally, in Edge, that page in reader mode still lays out horizontally, but the right and left arrows move the content by a "page".
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
mueller

Post by mueller »

Thanks for the idea.

But my purpose is something else. I want to use responsive multiple column layouts, like I show in my testcase. (The language is not important, you can think of any other text.)

May be in the future the reader mode in Firefox is customizable via userstylesheets. Than the mode could be an option. But only if you can navigate with the arrow right/left keys as in the reade mode in edge (which is excellent made, IMHO).
TrueFalcon

Post by TrueFalcon »

I usa mouse without a middle key (magic mouse from apple). So now way to test it.

Now I remember that ScrollAnywhere defaults to the middle button, but I changed it to the right in its options.

And:
Usually I prefer keyboard keys for comparable functions.

I do too, however the MX Master mouse is so programmable even to behave differently in different apps that it feels almost like an extension to the keyboard. (Which in my case, is a TypeMatrix 2030DV - it runs in Dvorak and the keys are Not staggered to the left - much more comfortable - it's also small which means the mouse is very close to the right side. :wink:
mueller

Post by mueller »

Your keyboard seems to be quite interesting. Some years ago I was diving a little bit into the szene around keyboard layouts. In that years an enthusiast likes to produce a programmable minimalistic keyboard. The miniguru.

https://www.golem.de/0912/71999.html

But it never get birth.