[SOLVED] Firefox screws up my ActiveBoard forum

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MomAries

Re: Firefox screws up my ActiveBoard forum

Post by MomAries »

jscher2000 wrote:
MomAries wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:I'm not surprised that you need to use a link button to create a link. What's interesting is that there's ALSO a script which finds plain text URLs and makes them into links when they are viewed or previewed (not during compose).

If you load this example in a regular window with Tracking Protection turned off, and no add-ons blocking scripts from viglink.com, you'll see a script linkifies the URL after a moment:

https://jscher2000.activeboard.com/t650 ... tiveboard/

If you load the page into a private window with Tracking Protection enabled, or if it's blocked by NoScript, then the URL is not linkified; it remains plain text.

I don't know why they do it that way, presumably for better user tracking.

P.S. I couldn't get registered to post on their "Example" forum so I had to create my own. Not my favorite software.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I am a bit familiar with FF's add-on NoScript. I used to have it installed. But as I recall it has created some problems and I removed it.
OK, so NoScript isn't a factor for you. Please report on your testing:

(A) When you **view** my test thread, where I did not manually make the URLs into links when I composed the posts, is the linkification script running for you and making the bare URLs into clickable links?

(B) If that does not happen, have you checked whether Firefox's Content Blocking/Tracking Protection is blocking content in that tab? If you see that feature's shield icon at the left end of the address bar, try making an exception so the script can run. Success or failure?

(C) If failure, can you think of any add-ons that might be blocking the script (e.g., ad blockers, tracking blockers, etc.)? If so try making a temporary exception for the page so all scripts can run. Any difference?
Hello, I am not sure I followed your message about "test thread" like where is it?
But anyway, between my last post and today I got a new computer with Windows10, and still use Firefox as my default browser. And I am almost afraid to say that the hyperlinks work now.
I sincerely thank you for your reply.
Many thanks to all the folks who help me with my problems.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

MomAries wrote:Hello, I am not sure I followed your message about "test thread" like where is it?
But anyway, between my last post and today I got a new computer with Windows10, and still use Firefox as my default browser. And I am almost afraid to say that the hyperlinks work now.
The test thread is the link I provided that you quoted: https://jscher2000.activeboard.com/t650 ... tiveboard/. That is on the new ActiveBoard I created to help run this to ground. Let's finish the job in case the problem comes back since I'm going to delete that board soon.

Q: If you view it in a private window, does Firefox on your new system linkify the bare URLs? What if you disable Tracking Protection?

Q: What about after you reinstall your usual blocking add-ons?
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

jscher2000 wrote:
MomAries wrote:Hello, I am not sure I followed your message about "test thread" like where is it?
The test thread is the link I provided that you quoted: https://jscher2000.activeboard.com/t650 ... tiveboard/. That is on the new ActiveBoard I created to help run this to ground. Let's finish the job in case the problem comes back since I'm going to delete that board soon.

Q: If you view it in a private window, does Firefox on your new system linkify the bare URLs? What if you disable Tracking Protection?

Q: What about after you reinstall your usual blocking add-ons?
I already disabled tracking protection. It has solved other problems on board but not the hyperlinks.
I am sorry I did not realize you've created a "trial" ActiveBoard for it. Must have been tired when I posted. :( BTW I saw that the hyperlinks did not work on your trial board either.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

MomAries wrote:I already disabled tracking protection. It has solved other problems on board but not the hyperlinks.
I am sorry I did not realize you've created a "trial" ActiveBoard for it. Must have been tired when I posted. :( BTW I saw that the hyperlinks did not work on your trial board either.
Okay, good start. A script in the page linkifies the bare URL. Something on your Firefox is blocking the script. If it's not Tracking Protection, the next suspect would be an extension. Can you test in Firefox's Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

jscher2000 wrote:
MomAries wrote:I already disabled tracking protection. It has solved other problems on board but not the hyperlinks.
Okay, good start. A script in the page linkifies the bare URL. Something on your Firefox is blocking the script. If it's not Tracking Protection, the next suspect would be an extension. Can you test in Firefox's Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
I have already tested one extension after another, one at a time. Believe me. That is why it is such a puzzle. :roll: :wink:
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

MomAries wrote:I have already tested one extension after another, one at a time. Believe me. That is why it is such a puzzle. :roll: :wink:
Try in Safe Mode. It does more than disable extensions; and, with some extensions disabling does not completely disable. Also, sometimes it is a combination of extensions.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

RobertJ wrote:
MomAries wrote:I have already tested one extension after another, one at a time. Believe me. That is why it is such a puzzle. :roll: :wink:
Try in Safe Mode. It does more than disable extensions; and, with some extensions disabling does not completely disable. Also, sometimes it is a combination of extensions.

OK. Thanks. But the problem is solved with the new Windows 10 that I got. I ran in Safe Mode before. t worked fine with all extensions disabled. But I was unable to identify which extension is a trouble-maker when eliminated one at time.
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

MomAries wrote:Hello everyone, I own an ActiveBoard Forum (very similar to yours) and i have a lot of issues with Firefox . I have version 62 of FF on my PC. The problems started after v.59-60 (hard to say exactly) . All the emotes (like here) are broken all over the board, hyperlinks don't work, weird blue background around the header (we have a totally different theme) just to name some.

I wish you guys could remotely take over my computer and see with your own eyes.
Are there any recommendations you can give to improve the Firefox? I have Windows 7.
Again it screwed up my Board after version 60 was installed.
Here is my system: 6 GB RAM, 64bit OS
P.S. What I did so far: I disabled my extensions , one at a time, to see if any of them may interfere. It did not make any difference:did not make any affect.
Can you please help? I like Firefox, it has been my default browser like forever. But its very frustrating to see how the forum is screwed up. :( I have no idea what else to do. ](*,)
MODERATORS, PLEASE MARK IS 'RESOLVED' AS IT IS RESOLVED FOR NOW. :)
THANKS.