MozillaZine

Problem with downloading files

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MaestroDaVinci
 
Posts: 11
Joined: September 22nd, 2017, 6:40 am

Post Posted November 1st, 2018, 2:13 pm

Hello today i had a problem while trying to download something (in this case a torrent) i get this error "could not be saved, because the source file could not be read" i search around the net and i found out that i have to delete the file compreg.dat however this file is missing in my firefox folder. So is there any other option for me?

lasardo
 
Posts: 106
Joined: September 9th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Post Posted November 1st, 2018, 4:59 pm

I don't have a compreg.dat file. The mimetypes.rdf file (related to file associations and launching of various filetypes) was replaced with handlers.json . You could try renaming handlers.json or moving it out of the profile folder. None of that may be the problem though, do you want to post a link to the site you saw with the fix, I doubt it is accurate anymore? What antivirus software do you have?

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted November 2nd, 2018, 1:36 am

ofc you cant hold that file because you dont use firefox 56. me either. he is using an ancient firefox and probably an ancient extension which is probably using such file. there is nothing we can do for you except advising to upgrade to current firefox (63.0.1/60esr) or switch to waterfox.

to read
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2748083
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Implementing_ ... JavaScript

MaestroDaVinci
 
Posts: 11
Joined: September 22nd, 2017, 6:40 am

Post Posted November 2nd, 2018, 2:11 am

lasardo wrote:I don't have a compreg.dat file. The mimetypes.rdf file (related to file associations and launching of various filetypes) was replaced with handlers.json . You could try renaming handlers.json or moving it out of the profile folder. None of that may be the problem though, do you want to post a link to the site you saw with the fix, I doubt it is accurate anymore? What antivirus software do you have?

Thank you that helped.

As for upgrade to later version. I can, but most of my addons are legacy and i don't have a replacement for them and some of them are essential.

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted November 2nd, 2018, 4:09 am

if you would ask we could help out.

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 19161
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted November 2nd, 2018, 9:02 am

I don't believe (?) that FF 56 uses compreg.dat either.
If you have it, its probably a legacy file of no consequence.

Create a new, clean Profile, & try your torrent.
If it still fails, you'll need to look elsewhere.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

MaestroDaVinci
 
Posts: 11
Joined: September 22nd, 2017, 6:40 am

Post Posted November 2nd, 2018, 11:55 am

Brummelchen wrote:if you would ask we could help out.

Well i doubt it's allowed, but here is my list of my addons and the ones that are essential are as follow:
https://i.imgur.com/3Elu4Nl.jpg
Classic Theme Restorer, Downthemall, Element Properties, Extended Statusbar, Roomy Bookmarks toolbar, Session Manager, Star-Button, Undo Closed Tabs Button.

therube Look up my last post in this thread, the person who i quoted gave me exactly the file that i needed to fix the problem.

jscher2000

User avatar
 
Posts: 10292
Joined: December 19th, 2004, 12:26 am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA USA

Post Posted November 2nd, 2018, 5:40 pm

Classic Theme Restorer: there are style rule equivalents for most on https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx

Downthemall, Element Properties: Not familiar, have you searched?

Extended Statusbar: No lower status bar on Quantum but an add-on can drop one from the main toolbar or inject one into the page; which information is essential to you?

Roomy Bookmarks toolbar: custom style rules can modify the bookmarks toolbar in many respects, which ones are essential to you?

Session Manager: there are numerous new session management add-ons to consider

Star-Button in URLbar: this is built-in to Quantum

Undo Closed Tabs Button: Try https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... s-revived/

MaestroDaVinci
 
Posts: 11
Joined: September 22nd, 2017, 6:40 am

Post Posted November 3rd, 2018, 2:48 am

jscher2000 wrote:Downthemall, Element Properties: Not familiar, have you searched?

Extended Statusbar: No lower status bar on Quantum but an add-on can drop one from the main toolbar or inject one into the page; which information is essential to you?

Roomy Bookmarks toolbar: custom style rules can modify the bookmarks toolbar in many respects, which ones are essential to you?

Session Manager: there are numerous new session management add-ons to consider

Star-Button in URLbar: this is built-in to Quantum

Downtehmall, Element Properties, yes i have searched and no i haven't found one.

Extended Statusbar - Right now i have a few of the important addons down on the extended status bar such as S3 Translator, which is very usefull, I have down there as well Cache Viewer, also Tempermonkey, also on the other side are timer for how long the page takes to load and also ColorZilla. I'm using my extended status bar as a way to unclutter my above bar.

Roomy Bookmarks toolbar - My most essential feature here is the ability of the addon to hide the names of the bookmarks until you hover over them and they just showup and right now it looks like this https://i.imgur.com/vlW63QR.jpg as you can see my bookmarks looks like they don't have names, but they do when i hove over them they look like this https://i.imgur.com/E8b3BWM.jpg. Essentially this addon hides the names in the bookmark bar until you hover over them and the it shows you the full name.

Session Manager: Can you provide a working one? I have seen multiple and everytime the rating of it is so low it doesn't really worth looking into. I'm looking for a good one like this that can have multiple sessions and actually work.

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted November 3rd, 2018, 6:58 am

Look for Tab Saver. This is on demand because Firefox session management is working like charm. it has some nice features others dont have. similar is OneTab. if you want auto-save, look for "tab session manager" or "MySessions" - last is able to read sessions from Moracs session manager, for TSM i dont know.

Roomy Bookmarks -> ask Aris for a replacement with css, thats all RB delivers.
Element Properties -> Firefox Inspector (built-in)

undo close -> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ab-button/
you can switch function for the button, i prefer closed tab list

for security/ads you should ditch disconnect (firefox uses it internally since v52) and privacy badger - ublock repalces them all (and over a dozen in fact)

cleanest addon... -> Aris ccs

febe = futile, as cleo and mozbackup aso.
Code: Select all
winrar a -r -agYYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM -inul x:\firefox_backup_ %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox
rar a -r -agYYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM -inul x:\firefox_backup_ %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox

modify drive/path and name (x:\firefox_backup_) as you need - this works also with the trial and no nags.

tampermonkey - replace with violentmoney! export scripts before or write down sources!

user agent switcher you sgould ditch - those and other crap leads firefox to misbehave (ghostery do so)

cache viewer = futile -> about:cache?storage=disk&context=

anyhow you should create a new profile! mandatory!!


create a new profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

This article explains how to selectively transfer Firefox user data and settings to a new Firefox profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

MaestroDaVinci
 
Posts: 11
Joined: September 22nd, 2017, 6:40 am

Post Posted November 3rd, 2018, 7:58 am

Brummelchen wrote:
Roomy Bookmarks -> ask Aris for a replacement with css, thats all RB delivers.


How do i contact this Aris? I went to his github page, but there is no contact form of any kind.

jscher2000

User avatar
 
Posts: 10292
Joined: December 19th, 2004, 12:26 am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA USA

Post Posted November 3rd, 2018, 9:11 am

MaestroDaVinci wrote:Roomy Bookmarks toolbar - My most essential feature here is the ability of the addon to hide the names of the bookmarks until you hover over them and they just showup and right now it looks like this https://i.imgur.com/vlW63QR.jpg as you can see my bookmarks looks like they don't have names, but they do when i hove over them they look like this https://i.imgur.com/E8b3BWM.jpg. Essentially this addon hides the names in the bookmark bar until you hover over them and the it shows you the full name.


For your userChrome.css file:

Code: Select all
/* Hide bookmark/folder text label(s) except when hovered */
toolbarbutton.bookmark-item:not(:hover) > .toolbarbutton-text {
  visibility: collapse !important;
}


For general ref. https://www.userchrome.org/

MaestroDaVinci
 
Posts: 11
Joined: September 22nd, 2017, 6:40 am

Post Posted November 3rd, 2018, 12:29 pm

jscher2000 wrote:
MaestroDaVinci wrote:Roomy Bookmarks toolbar - My most essential feature here is the ability of the addon to hide the names of the bookmarks until you hover over them and they just showup and right now it looks like this https://i.imgur.com/vlW63QR.jpg as you can see my bookmarks looks like they don't have names, but they do when i hove over them they look like this https://i.imgur.com/E8b3BWM.jpg. Essentially this addon hides the names in the bookmark bar until you hover over them and the it shows you the full name.


For your userChrome.css file:


For general ref. https://www.userchrome.org/

Thank you!!!

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests