unwanted icon in new tab page

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

unwanted icon in new tab page

Post by Odin2 »

I've always used an entirely blank page for my new tab page--but now that page is encumbered with the Fx icon. How can I have an entirely blank new tab page?
therube

Re: unwanted icon in new tab page

Post by therube »

Can't look now, but from what I recall, when you select 'Blank Page', that is what you get?
Or are you able to set New Tab to open to about:blank?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

That should be the "Firefox Tour" button. If you take the tour, it should go away after that.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Odin2 wrote:I've always used an entirely blank page for my new tab page--but now that page is encumbered with the Fx icon. How can I have an entirely blank new tab page?
Go to FF Preferences (Options on WIN)-> Home -> New Windows and Tabs

and under New tabs select "Blank Page"
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You can kill the tour in about:config. - Search for "onboard"
If you're referring to the Firefox icon in the tab title it will always be there if you select new tab from /File.
It's embedded somewhere and not configurable to disappear in about:config.
You can avoid it by making your home page about:blank and searching for newtab and newtabpage to change some of the settings but it wlll stay if selecting new tab from /file. Hit the home button once changed to about:blank
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, all. Sorry about my poor phraseology--I should have said the page title is encumbered by the Fx icon. I solved the problem by using the New Tab Override extension to change my New Tab to https://this-page-intentionally-left-blank.org/, and then using the Rename Tab Title extension to rename it to New Tab.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Lot of effort to remove an icon. As noted above
Go to FF Preferences (Options on WIN) -> Home -> New Windows and Tabs
and under New tabs select "Blank Page"
does the same thing.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
therube

Post by therube »

So you're using some random web page that while it may today be "blank", who knows what it might hold tomorrow.

At the least make your own "blank" local web page & use that instead (of the 'blank' [now] supplied by FF).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Therube and RobertJ, you seem to be missing the point [probably my fault] that my need was to bring up the New Tab page without the distracting Fx icon in the tab title. [Please correct me if I'm wrong.] Thanks anyway for your comments.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

To suppress the "site icon" on a tab with reliable text (such as New Tab) some people would use a rule in a userChrome.css file.

Code: Select all

.tabbrowser-tab[label="New Tab"] .tab-icon-image {
  display: none !important;
}
I suppose there is some possibility that a website might title one of their pages "New Tab" and trigger the rule, but... hmm.

Also, of course, if your New Tab doesn't say New Tab (i.e., localized to a different language) the rule would need to be adapted accordingly.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, jscher. Your suggestion is no doubt the best way to go--but I'm happy with my solution for now.