How to open new tabs maximized?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

How to open new tabs maximized?

Post by FrankSMS »

Sure I can drag the window to its maximum state but its still not maximized. Is there any way (I looked in about:config without success) to set Firefox to always open tabs maximized? Who opens a book part way? It seems to be for people that haven't learned Alt_Tab and are relegated to fumbling with the mouse all day.
LIMPET235

Re: How to open new tabs maximized?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I suppose that you've tried opening/checking the shortcut's Properties & set it to open Maximized from the "Run" box drop down?
Firefox will open in Maximized mode all the time.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

How does one check a shortcut's properties? Right clicking the link doesn't seem to offer anything.
Where is this "Run" box drop down?
These options sound hopeful!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hopefully, you will have a Firefox "short cut" on your desktop.
With Firefox closed...right click it & from the Context Menu, select "Properties."
The "Run" box drop down will be available there.
It will probably show....> "Normal Window."
Select... > "Maximized" & close the Menu.
Open Firefox.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

> Hopefully, you will have a Firefox "short cut" on your desktop.

I cannot imagine using the desktop for shortcuts but I see your point. Once on the desktop it's properties can be set. I tried that before on someone else's suggestion for doing something else and it worked well.

Unfortunately my post is about clicking on links when Firefox is open. These will open in a new tab. Some dimwitted person decided that I only want to see part of the page. Obviously for mouse navigators. You'd really think that people would wake up to the inefficiency of doing anything with a mouse that you can do with a keyboard. Do they type with their mouse?! You still see young people that have to look at the keyboard when they type! What are they teaching in schools lately? Hunt and peck? I cannot imagine being hampered by stuff like that. All they need to do is put a cover over the keyboard and in a few days their skills will be proficient. The brain will do what it has to do. Remember. Guess we all a bit obstinate.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Sorry.
I mis-understood your Q?
I'm not sure that Firefox can control the size of a linked page/site.
Might be down to the actual coding of the web page.
I did a quick search & found a few old references to similar questions.
All seem to refer to javascript & our KB articles.
(Probably will not pertain to the latest versions though.)
ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.link. ... estriction
ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Prevent_websi ... w_features

Not much help, I suppose.
Someone may know how to, if at all possible.

jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

First, I'm pretty sure we are talking about new windows, not new tabs. New tabs open in the same window.

Second, I believe Firefox usually opens a new window in the same "state" as its parent/source window. For example:

Shift+click link in maximized window => open link in new maximized window

There is an exception if the link is wired to a window.open() script that dictates a particular popup window size. In that case, the script wins.

By the way, on Windows, if you double-click a blank part of the title bar, the window switches between resizable and maximized. By default, Firefox renders the tabs in the title bar, so if you have a lot of tabs open in a window it may be hard to find a blank spot to double-click, and you may need to click the maximize button instead.

Edit: The mouseless method to maximize the current window is Alt+Spacebar then x
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

> First, I'm pretty sure we are talking about new windows, not new tabs. New tabs open in the same window.

But what if I have new windows open as tabs? I should change that setting but I don't want so many Firefox windows on my taskbar. It kind of fills it up and I can't see much anything else sometimes. Still, it would be interesting to see the difference.

I should have mentioned that usually, about 95% of the time, the new tabs do open as the present window. It looks like the normal setting is being overridden by something in the webpage.

> Edit: The mouseless method to maximize the current window is Alt+Spacebar then x

Amen to that. I can't imagine wasting time clicking with a mouse. By the time the average person has reached the mouse I've done the keyboard shortcut. Then they have to move the cursor to the correct area and click. Unbelievable unproductivity.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

FrankSMS wrote:> First, I'm pretty sure we are talking about new windows, not new tabs. New tabs open in the same window.

But what if I have new windows open as tabs? I should change that setting but I don't want so many Firefox windows on my taskbar. It kind of fills it up and I can't see much anything else sometimes. Still, it would be interesting to see the difference.
If new windows already open as new tabs instead, then there's no change to the size of your current window. The problem can only arise when a link opens in a separate window. As I misunderstanding the situation?

This test page lists the setting change to force scripted windows with features into a new tab instead: https://www.jeffersonscher.com/res/popit.html
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

See also the dom.disable_window_open_ prefs on the about:config page.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Prevent_websi ... w_features
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

> https://www.jeffersonscher.com/res/popit.html

The 3rd link on this page opened in a scaled down window. That is exactly the problem I'm having.

browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction
I have this set at 2.
Changing it to 0 causes the 3rd link at the top to open maximized.
Others here seem to be as per recommended.

I just realized I need to backup my Firefox settings. I'm looking everywhere and see nowhere that Firefox has provided that. You'd think it would be under File or Tools. Weird. Why would they hide something so important? You dial everything in, your system crashes, needs a reinstall, then you're trying to remember what the settings were from months and years of changes. Good luck!
Would it be the prefs.js file in Documents and Settings\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\crypticname?\prefs.js?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

FrankSMS wrote:I just realized I need to backup my Firefox settings.

Would it be the prefs.js file in Documents and Settings\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\crypticname?\prefs.js?
Yes, most things reflected in about:config as modified are in that file.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
therube

Post by therube »

Second, I believe Firefox usually opens a new window in the same "state" as its parent/source window. For example:
You would expect, though I am seeing otherwise - in FF 63 :cry:.
(Haven't explored yet a possible cause.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript