How to block video and sound on a website?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

How to block video and sound on a website?

Post by FrankSMS »

Besides disabling Javascript which renders the page inoperable, is there any way of blocking media on a website? I spend a lot of time on Level2StockQuotes.com and they play their incessant Bloomberg TV all day. You'd think they would allow a right click/Disable but no. They think they know better. You can pause the TV of course but its a small window on a big page and you have to hunt for it every time the page is opened. I've gone into Permissions without luck. I've disabled everything conceivable on the page but it still plays. I've got it now so at least the video isn't showing but the audio still plays. And without the video showing I can't turn down the volume on that page! I can mute it by turning down Firefox in my Volume Mixer in Win7 but then I can't hear anything else in Firefox. I thought I could open a new window but that isn't differentiated in Volume Mixer. I wonder when websites will learn to give us options and stop trying to think for us? Its all about user control. And its slipping away more and more. Remember when the internet first started? A pure, free sharing of information. What a concept. Then money reared its ugly head.
LIMPET235

Re: How to block video and sound on a website?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I'm not sure if this one will suit, but give it a try anyway...
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
Otherwise, a search of the Addons site may bring a few more suggestions...
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

That worked VERY well. Thank you!
Now why wouldn't Mozilla have that in about:config? There are so many settings for autoplay and none seem to be able to squash that website's media playing! Its like a bug that can't be exterminated!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You're welcome for the assistance...

("about:config" is way too complicated as it is. Can't understand much of it at all.)
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

the better way!
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14813334

but i think we will read some more of you again, promised...
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

I'm curious how your systems handle this page and if you can find a way of getting the audio not to play automatically. http://level2stockquotes.com Its a stock info website so the audio/TV may not play in off hours, not sure. Its a small window about 1/2 way down the page on the right side. If you tend to zoom in on your pages it may not even be in your initial window. But you should be able to hear it soon after the page loads if active.

So after applying some of the suggestions made I know have a red framed window that is suspended around the frame that wants to start. It says Click to Play. Any way of getting rid of that? That is the only site I've found ineffective against the previous suggestions for autoplay.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

I know have a red framed window that is suspended around the frame that wants to start. It says Click to Play. Any way of getting rid of that?
No.
It's from the extension you just installed.
If you don't want to see the red frame, un-install the extension & let the video auto play.