[Solved] Any Problems Running Bitdefender with FF?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
skuddle

[Solved] Any Problems Running Bitdefender with FF?

Post by skuddle »

I am running Windows 10 and FF 63.0.1. My Norton Security Suite will expire in a couple of weeks and I was thinking about replacing it with Bitdefender. Norton does not appear to be rated very high in comparison with other similar software.

Does Firefox work well with Bitdefender or are there problems with it? I think Bitdefender is one of the higher-rated apps.
Last edited by skuddle on November 19th, 2018, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4291
* Firefox 125; Thunderbird 115.10
lasardo

Re: Any Problems Running Bitdefender with FF?

Post by lasardo »

No recent experience, but from what I've heard Firefox is secure enough and it is best to, if you use a third-party antivirus software, to not let it mess with Firefox - turn off its "web shield" or whatever the equivalent is. If you do let them interfere you may get SSL sites not working, slowness, missing things on webpages, other glitchiness, and may introduce security holes. But, you can try for yourself, just remember if something seems bad in Firefox give it a try with the antivirus off for a while to see if it is better.
AVG and Avast have merged. By reputation, McAfee and Norton are terrible, and I can confirm that a decade ago at least Norton was a disaster. If you don't use a third-party antivirus, do turn on Windows Defender.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

marketing hoaxes! please dont waste money on hot air. and use the microsoft winows defender which is decent.
and yes, symantec and even more bitdefender (most is kaspersky) are known to cause issues on any firefox.
you ask for a recommendation - you got it.
ghot

Post by ghot »

I run Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 with FF 63.0.1 No problems. I only run the BD firewall, the AV and the Advanced Threat Defense parts of BD though.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
James

Post by James »

Bidefender has been one of the antivirus clients singled out in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/er ... e-websites
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

I don't have any comments on whether BitDefender is worth using, but if its "man in the middle" feature blocks Firefox from accessing secure sites, check the last post in this thread for steps to turn off that feature: https://support.mozilla.org/questions/1 ... er-1170493
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

I appreciate the replies.

@jscher2000, in regards to the link you posted:

At the end of the article is an explanation of how to bypass the warning. Once I bypass a warning for a particular site, is the bypass good from then on for that site and if so, how can I undo the bypass for that site?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Hi skuddle, do you mean, if you tell Firefox to trust a fake certificate, can you later remove that exception? Yes, call up the Certificate Viewer from the Options page and check the Servers tab for that site and remove it there.

If your question is about a feature of BitDefender, I dunno.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

if you tell Firefox to trust a fake certificate
really now? not, or? to throw it again and again...
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/er ... e-websites
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

jscher2000 wrote:Hi skuddle, do you mean, if you tell Firefox to trust a fake certificate, can you later remove that exception? Yes, call up the Certificate Viewer from the Options page and check the Servers tab for that site and remove it there.
Thank you, that info is what I was looking for. :)