Can't get my tabs to be overwritten

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

Can't get my tabs to be overwritten

Post by Odin2 »

I installed the Tabloc extension [now removed] and now can't open a link from my email client [Outlook] in any of my (unpinned) tabs. Starting with all new tabs didn't help. I have restarted Windows but the problem persists. What can I do?
jscher2000

Re: Can't get my tabs to be overwritten

Post by jscher2000 »

Do you mean the stand-alone Outlook program supplied as part of the Microsoft Office suite? You click an HTTP or HTTPS link in a message in Outlook and it doesn't load in Firefox or any other browser? Is there any error message?
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, jscher. Yes, it is (standalone) Outlook 2016, part of Office.

Since my submission I've found that I can indeed overwrite a webpage with a link on that page. So perhaps it's an issue with Outlook and not with Fx--I don't know.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

No error message, just nothing happens?

Try switching your default browser to IE11 and see if Outlook can send links there, then switch it back to Firefox and see whether anything changes.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, jscher. No error message. But [per your suggestion] I switched my default to Chrome, and the problems persisted--so it seems it's not a browser issue.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Even though you don't get the error, you could look at the Registry fix for Outlook/Office links in this article:

https://www.slipstick.com/problems/this ... trictions/
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Many thanks, jscher--especially as this suggestion is outside the scope of Fx. In fact, at the Microsoft Community site I have received valuable insights from Diane Poremsky, who apparently wrote the article to which you referred me, but in response to my inquiry on this issue never suggested it [although she answered the inquiry]. I have now written her for her comment, and will keep you informed.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Jscher, I'm getting back to you as promised. Diane Poremsky told me the linked suggestion probably wouldn't work with my particular problem, but she said it wouldn't harm anything--so I tried it, but unfortunately it didn't help. It's not really that hard to live with: I just have to remember to keep my tabs to a minimum. (Or switch from Outlook, which I've been thinking of doing anyway.) Thanks again for your interest.