How to search a pattern in all Bookmarks (dir tree)?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pstover

How to search a pattern in all Bookmarks (dir tree)?

Post by pstover »

I have a large bookmark directory tree.

Now I want to search for a certain bookmark but I don't know exactly the sub(sub(sub))folder where i put it.

How can I recursively search for pattern (e.g. *writer*) in the whole bookmark tree?
...starting with open "Library" window (if possible).

Peter
Grumpus

Re: How to search a pattern in all Bookmarks (dir tree)?

Post by Grumpus »

Open "Show all Bookmarks" or whatever it says so you see the "Library"and click on "All Bookmarks" in the Index on the left .
Type writer or whatever key word you in the search block. This should show all including subfolders.
When you have the window open and you don't see the location look at "Views in the window menu and make sure you have the column checked.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Hi Peter, bookmark search in the Library will show all the matches, but it won't show you the folder in which each match resides. Longstanding limitation of the Library. You will need to use an add-on if you want that additional information.
pstover

Post by pstover »

Thx. It works.

@jscher2000: Which AddOn would you suggest to get the sub(sub(sub))folder?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Take a gander at this extension...
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ch-plus-2/
It shows up in the Bookmarks Sidebar drop down.
If that one doesn't suit, then search the Addons site...
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... =extension

&...You might want to try resetting your User Agent string...(Looks kinda weird.)
"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko"

> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Resetting_you ... in_default
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

jscher2000 wrote:Hi Peter, bookmark search in the Library will show all the matches, but it won't show you the folder in which each match resides. Longstanding limitation of the Library. You will need to use an add-on if you want that additional information.
This must be a difference between other systems and Linux based as the actual location, path and folder are shown in the window after the search is done as long as theLocation column which indicates the path is checked under View.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Grumpus wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:Hi Peter, bookmark search in the Library will show all the matches, but it won't show you the folder in which each match resides. Longstanding limitation of the Library. You will need to use an add-on if you want that additional information.
This must be a difference between other systems and Linux based as the actual location, path and folder are shown in the window after the search is done as long as theLocation column which indicates the path is checked under View.
Sorry, I meant the folder on your Bookmarks Menu, Bookmarks Toolbar, Other Bookmarks, as the case may be.