(Resolved) Error when visiting the addon site

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

(Resolved) Error when visiting the addon site

Post by dfoulkes »

I have two profiles in here. This Main one and what I call a Misc profile.

In this Main profile I get into the addons page, then click on Get Add-ons and then Find more add-ons. Then in the search window of that page I can type "find" and it will list various addons relating to "find" and then I'll click on anyone of them I receive the following error....
Server Error

Sorry, but there was an error with our server and we couldn't complete your request. We have logged this error and will investigate it.
Suggested Pages

Browse all extensions
Browse all themes
Add-ons Home Page

If you have additional information that would help us you can file an issue. Tell us what steps you took that lead to the error and we'll do our best to fix it.
So... I restarted this profile into safe-mode and the same problem exists.

And then I tried the same steps in my "Misc" profile and have no issues.

The only suspicious happenings today was the last thing that I did 'after' shutting down Firefox early today was that I updated Avast virus database (not Avast program) ... and then it required a reboot of my PC... after it restarted I noticed that 'again' Avast had installed Chrome (gotta figure out how to stop that ](*,) ) so I uninstalled Chrome with no issues... started Firefox and was notified that it was no longer the default browser... so I set it as default. That's about the only weird thing that happened.

So, anybody have thoughts about this Firefox problem? Oh... BTW, if while I'm in my Misc browser and find an add-on on the addon site... copy its URL and then come back here and paste/go to get to that addon... I get the same error.
Last edited by DanRaisch on November 26th, 2018, 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Resolved added to subject per OP's report.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
therube

Re: Error when visiting the addon site

Post by therube »

'Find more add-ons' takes me to, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Check about:config, filter on 'addons.moz' & see if anything looks out of place?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks for the feedback,

Since my Misc profile doesn't have the issue I searched both this problem profile 'about:config' and my 'working ok' Misc profile with that filter and I see a couple of entries in this problem profile that are not in my working profile ... and since this profile was from an update to Quantum ESR from old ESR it looks like they are left over...they are...

capability.policy.maonoscript.sites
extensions.compatibility@addons.mozilla.org.install-event-fired;true[

That first entry has a ton of data when I tried to just perform the copy so I didn't post it here...I'm thinking of closing this profile and making a copy of the prefs files... then removing those two entries to see what happens...
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Nope... I removed those two entries after copying the prefs file ... started up Firefox and the problem still exists. I'll look around some more in the prefs file. And, with those two entries gone I don't see any problems relating to their removal... yet.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

dfoulkes wrote:capability.policy.maonoscript.sites
That is for the NoScript extension, but only for "legacy" versions as far as I know.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks... it's gone now and so far no issues ... I think. I was just reviewing the prefs file and I had thought that I had removed a huge number of 'old addons' entries and now I see that there are still a ton of them in the prefs file. I may have to bite the bullet and create a whole new profile... start from scratch... and that is going to be a long haul. I'll wait here for any more suggestions before I start that new creation.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Hmmm... no Firefox updates since I posted this issue... and I've not cleaned out any prefs either... yet I can now visit the addons page without issue... so, Closed ... I guess. Thanks All.
Brummelchen

Re: Error when visiting the addon site CLOSED

Post by Brummelchen »

and create a whole new profile... start from scratch
anyhow - thats always recommended when entering the quantum zone.