How To Make Adguard Open Logger In New Tab

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jputting

How To Make Adguard Open Logger In New Tab

Post by jputting »

Hi,

I am using the Adguard adblocking extension and am quite happy with it, except for one annoying thing.

Everytime I wish to view its Logger function to see what is being blocked on a website it always opens this logger in a new Firefox window.

I want to force it to open in a new tab in the current browser window.

I have tried countless Firefox Add-ons without any luck and made about:config changes suggested on many websites.

Firefox used to have what was once called a "Single Window Mode".

I don't if this can be still be configured in Firefox 63.0.3 installed on macOS Mojave 10.14.1

Can anybody please help force Adguard open its Logger in a new tab in the current window?.
Last edited by jputting on November 18th, 2018, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jscher2000

Re: How To Make Adguard Open Logger In New Tab

Post by jscher2000 »

Extension developers can open one of their extension's own pages in either a new window or a new tab. (https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Mozi ... sion_pages) If the extension doesn't give you an option to choose between them, you might be stuck. Let them know you want a choice!!

Meanwhile, it might be possible for another add-on to grab any pop-up and move the tab from that window to the window where it popped up from. But extensions are not allowed to mess with tabs containing some pages, so I don't know whether it would work with a tab containing a moz-extension:// page. Have you searched for a general-purpose extension that might be able to do the job?
jputting

Post by jputting »

Hi jscher2000,

I have taken a journey on the dark side and dabbled with the Chrome browser and this type of behaviour can be controlled by an extension called "Join Windows".

Firefox used to have an Single Window" mode which could control this type of thing, but I can Not find any way to reinstate this in Firefox 63.0.3

Tab Mix Plus could enforce this Single Window mode. However Tab Mix Plus is just a shadow of its former self with many functions lost.

Single Window Mode seems to have been a casualty of the big changes made to Firefox in recent times.
jputting

Post by jputting »

Hi,

I have finally found a partial solution to this via using a Firefox Add-on called "Popup Tab".

When I get the Adguard logger in a seperate Firefox window I can now right click on this window and select "Merge popup" and the Adguard logger window will be converted to a new tab in my current window.

I wish I could configure this to occur automatically, I will contact the developer of this Add-on and ask if this is possible.