Can you set the default folder new bookmarks get added to?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Twelda

Can you set the default folder new bookmarks get added to?

Post by Twelda »

I've used Firefox forever and have a lot of bookmarks. When I add a new bookmark I always add it to the main Bookmarks Menu folder, and then later move it to a folder I've created that I want it to be in, or delete it if it wasn't something worth keeping. Until now, the Bookmarks Menu folder has always been the default folder that shows when I add a new bookmark.

I don't know if this is a Firefox 63 thing or not, but for a while now the default folder has been the Other Bookmarks folder. The editor pop-up box appears and I can select a different folder (and I do), but this is a lot of extra mouse movement and clicking that I don't want to do, and I have to do it each time because it always defaults back to the Other Bookmarks folder the next time I add a new bookmark.

I didn't see anything in about:config that allowed me to change this. Can it be? Please advise.

Thanks.
jscher2000

Re: Can you set the default folder new bookmarks get added t

Post by jscher2000 »

It's a Firefox 57 thing and here's the workaround:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... rk-folder/

Make sure to go into the extension's options to select the folder you want to use.

For Firefox 4-56, the "star" icon button on the toolbar added to Other Bookmarks (formerly known as Unsorted Bookmarks) while the other methods (Ctrl+d, menu) added to Bookmarks Menu. It made sense to end the inconsistency, but it would have been nice to have a user choice built-in.
Twelda

Re: Can you set the default folder new bookmarks get added t

Post by Twelda »

Thank you! But... 57?!? That's a year old. I don't think I've been having this problem for that long, and I update to the newest version pretty quickly. My method for adding a new bookmark is through the right-click menu, if that makes any difference.

Either way, thanks for the reply. I'll go get that extension right now.

Edit: Got it. Does just what I wanted. THANKS.