New tab needs to use the blank tab

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

New tab needs to use the blank tab

Post by dfoulkes »

I have my system set up to display a blank tab at startup (home page if you will) ..But when I click on a bookmark ( I have bookmarks set in the prefs file to open a new tab) ... the opening of that new tab ignores the fact that there is a blank tab to be used first but it opens up that bookmark in a new tab... know what I mean. This did not do that in my prior ESR 52 and it may be because I had TMP handling tabs.
I also started this profile and my Misc profile in safe-mode to check it out and it still happens.

And, I also started up my portable version of this ESR which started out clean..so, no junk in the prefs file from old extensions.

Any thoughts on this... or, do I just live with it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
jscher2000

Re: New tab needs to use the blank tab

Post by jscher2000 »

Are you saying: Firefox is following instructions by using a new tab, but it should make an exception when the current tab has a blank page and just replace it?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yep... before I upgraded to Quantum I had ESR52 ... I had TMP for handling many tab-functions with respect to various tab handling.... and I'll assume that that ext. took care of that. It was upgrading to version 63 that started my current issue. It's not a big problem... but a little tiring if you know what I mean.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

jscher2000 wrote:Are you saying: Firefox is following instructions by using a new tab, but it should make an exception when the current tab has a blank page and just replace it?
dfoulkes wrote:Yep...
The Dev's are working on that. It is called Firefox-AI

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Hmmm... well it used to work fine in pre-Quantum. So much for improvements. ](*,)
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

dfoulkes wrote:Hmmm... well it used to work fine in pre-Quantum.
Until recently, there was no preference to open bookmarks in a new tab. And you don't have to use it now. You can Ctrl+click (on mac, Command+click) a bookmark to direct it to a new tab, or "middle-click" it with the mouse scroll wheel.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

jscher2000 wrote: Until recently, there was no preference to open bookmarks in a new tab. And you don't have to use it now. You can Ctrl+click (on mac, Command+click) a bookmark to direct it to a new tab, or "middle-click" it with the mouse scroll wheel.
I guess it was TMP and I think that I had another bookmark/tab realted ext then.

I can live with the blank tab thing... I was just wondering.