Deleted empty "Old Firefox Data" folder keeps reappearing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
NKram

Deleted empty "Old Firefox Data" folder keeps reappearing

Post by NKram »

Refreshed Firefox on Oct 28 to troubleshoot a few hangs and crashes on W10 Pro V1809 17763.134

As expected, "Old Firefox Data" folder appeared, subsequently deleted folder and uninstalled Firefox. Deleted Program Files folder and Users folder including profile etc. Can't recall in what order.

Downloaded and installed Firefox (now 63.0.3 - 64bit), restored Bookmarks and installed just three extensions. Current directory/files/profile dated Nov 28.

Firefox running well, no recent hangs or crashes.

The previously deleted empty "Old Firefox Data" folder keeps reappearing on my Desktop after numerous deletions, folder is dated Oct28.

Ran (Admin) chkdsk /offlinescanandfix, no errors

Any suggestions?

thanks
Grumpus

Re: Deleted empty "Old Firefox Data" folder keeps reappearin

Post by Grumpus »

Look at this Mozilla Support question - Old Firefox Data
Has nothing to do with updates or installs.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The previously deleted empty "Old Firefox Data" folder keeps reappearing on my Desktop after numerous deletions, folder is dated Oct28.
That sounds like an OS issue, perhaps of permissions. Have you tried taking "Ownership" of the folder in Windows?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

windows would throw a message if not sufficient rights.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

windows would throw a message if not sufficient rights.
Perhaps, but deleting the folder is an OS level function and Firefox would not repeatedly create that folder unless the browser was being repeatedly refreshed.
NKram

Post by NKram »

thanks for the feedback so far.

Also assumed a possible OS problem and thought the chkdsk /offlinescanandfix may find an issue. I have ownership of the folder.

Folder reappears without additional Firefox refresh. Not aware of any scheduled OS or Firefox related tasks.

I have, unsuccessfully, attempted to note the circumstances of the folder reappearing, it seems somewhat intermittent. Next time I will rename the folder before I delete it, to see if this or the original folder reappears

thank you