No bookmarks on bar when in safe-mode

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

No bookmarks on bar when in safe-mode

Post by dfoulkes »

The other day I was trying to resolve a problem and put this main profile into safe-mode. It started up and then I right-clicked at the top to display the bookmarks bar... it displayed but no bookmarks nor folders appeared on the bar. Wondering if that was something new I checked out my other more basic profile and they did display while that profile was in safe-mode.

I seem to remember that (folder) chrome related files/css-codes are ignored while in safe-mode... so that shouldn't be the issue... any ideas out there?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
therube

Re: No bookmarks on bar when in safe-mode

Post by therube »

In 63, in Safe Mode, I can display the Bookmarks toolbar & the expected bookmarks do display.

Offhand, don't know if that applies to 60 also?

(Maybe restart in Safe Mode & see what that does ;-).)

And in 60.3.0esr, I see the same, so all looks to be working on my end.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

therube wrote:

And in 60.3.0esr, I see the same, so all looks to be working on my end.
RE: blue line... that's what this topic is about... that's when I don't see any bookmarks while in safe-mode. The problem resides in this profile but my other minimal (addons/changes) profile works fine. So I would assume that when in safe-mode a default prefs file is used, css coding under the chrome folder is ignored and of course all extensions are disabled... any other items that I could look at?...especially something that would stop bookmarks from displaying in the mode.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Does this profile have automatic session restore at startup? Users with that setting have occasionally reported that their bookmarks toolbar vanishes shortly after startup and can't be shown for the rest of the session. Turning off automatic session restore for one startup (and then immediately restoring the session from the menu and turning automatic session restore back on) seems to cure it in those cases. I'm not aware of anyone having come up with an explanation for why that helps.
therube

Post by therube »

immediately
Don't omit that part, cause if you do, you may end up loosing your session.
(In the same way, can't hurt to backup first.)

You missed the : wink :.
I purposely said that, knowing that was exactly where you were seeing the issue.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

jscher2000 wrote:Does this profile have automatic session restore at startup? Users with that setting have occasionally reported that their bookmarks toolbar vanishes shortly after startup and can't be shown for the rest of the session. Turning off automatic session restore for one startup (and then immediately restoring the session from the menu and turning automatic session restore back on) seems to cure it in those cases. I'm not aware of anyone having come up with an explanation for why that helps.
Nope... don't save sessions.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

therube wrote: You missed the : wink :.
I purposely said that, knowing that was exactly where you were seeing the issue.
I read that 'and' saw the wink... but at 74 what my eyes see doesn't always
allow my brain to file it away :D

Just for kicks as soon as I finish this post I'm going to try it again in safe-mode just to see what happens..
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

OK... figured it out. I compared how my bookmarks are put up there in this profile and my other (working) profile. What I found out is that if the first item on the bookmarks bar is a 'separator' it causes this problem when put into safe-mode. I had to get into Show all bookmarks in order to remove it for my test.

Anyway, thanks all for your ideas.