New Profile Didn't Fix The Problems

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tpaulr

New Profile Didn't Fix The Problems

Post by tpaulr »

Afternoon All...

I just went through creating a new profile, the on-going issues I've had with deleting downloads was, I thought, fixed: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3044422

It is not.

When I created a new profile, as I have many times before, I don't use any existing settings, I start completely from scratch, meaning I add extensions one-by-one, any changes to about:config I do from scratch, and etc.

Because I use an outside bookmark app, I don't even import bookmarks anymore.

I could delete downloads for about 2 days, now I'm back to square 1, can't manage them at all.

I am at a complete loss.

When I rebuild a new profile I add extensions one-by-one, test the effect, add another, and etc.

I have to be able to delete this list, too much confidential and sensitive information gets downloaded daily.

These issues, like the bookmark problems I had from 60 through 62, seem to be unsolvable, and I don't get it.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated... ](*,)
Brummelchen

Re: New Profile Didn't Fix The Problems

Post by Brummelchen »

there is nothing you can do except dropping that outside thing. 3rd-party programs are pain in firefox ass, ever were, no cookies, no fortune. and panda may do the rest. many of us dont have this issue.
Because I use an outside bookmark app
and it has a name? and a webpage?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Don't add any extensions for a few days, work maybe five days or more with the bare bones profile; importing nothing and changing nothing from the default settings. If the problem doesn't reappear you will be able to blame one of the extensions you wanted to install.

What extensions would you install/use?
Have you run any diagnostics on the hard drive and memory to see if there are hardware issues involved?
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Dan,

I did/do run diagnostics on Hardware, yes. I use WD diagnostic tools, no issues as of this past weekend.

Will run without extensions. I have the following installed:

Bookmark OS
Decentraleyes
Last Pass
New Tab From Location Bar
Print/Preview
Tab Mix Links
UBlock Origin
Undo Close Tab
Video Download Helper

Will report back here periodically.

Thanks so much. :)
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Dan,

I have been thinking about this since I originally posted, and have a few questions:

1. Is there any option/preference that might create issues?

2. Anything in about:config that I need to change?

I have tried unsuccessfully - including this new profile - to delete history & downloads since FF60, it just won't delete anything.

Is this dependent upon another option/preference that may cause issues?

Dan, given the nature of my business, I can't have this condition - the only function that works is the ability to open the containing folder, the worst possible case.

This also makes no sense, that only one function works.

After all of these years of being virtually trouble free, these post-FF60 issues are maddening.

I was lucky enough to find a quick resolution to the on-going bookmark issues, but there is no external resolution to this problem.

The only thing I can control is where to download - I changed location a number of times in the last day to experiment, that is not causing issues.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

Perhaps one way to prevent Firefox from keeping a download history is to search in options for "history", set to custom if not already, then check the box for "always use private browsing mode."
Also if you use sync data like history will go back and forth to the other synced computers.
I guess you aren't, but if you are using anything like Sandboxie, you should mention it in case that points a helper in the right direction.
Lastly, if Firefox 60 did work for you, Firefox 60 ESR (extended support) exists and can be used for another 8 months or so.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Larboard,

1. I'll try private browsing, hadn't thought of that. It's not that I don't want to keep history, that's not the point.

2. I don't use Sync

3. I do run Sandboxie, but right now, I am following Dan's advice and running FF in safe mode un-sandboxed. I have checked in with them any number of times since FF60, they swear none of this is a Sandboxie issue

It still makes no difference - I can't delete either downloads or history.

I am not going to go to ESR. That's not a viable option for 8 months. If I can't solve this issue, I'm not sure what I'm going to do - I can't be the only person with this issue, my desktop set up is not that unusual.

I will try private browsing, thanks for the idea.