Can I use bookmark search to MOVE bookmarks into new folder?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Markus.N

Can I use bookmark search to MOVE bookmarks into new folder?

Post by Markus.N »

Hi,
I have a Firefox profile with hundreds of bookmarks, partially already organized into topic-related folders. And then then there is another folder "Others" for all the others.
Now, I would like to clean up "Others" and move the bookmarks into topic-related folders (some existing, some new).
Important: I want to move them, not duplicate them.

I've opened "Show All Bookmarks" and created my new folders.

So far, so good.

The problem:
When I do a search in the "all bookmarks" window and move some bookmarks to a folder from the search result, they get duplicated instead of moved. It does not make a difference if I use drag & drop or cut & paste.

Is this a bug or did I miss an option ?

Unfortunately, just sorting the "Other" folder will help, neither by name nor by location. The topics are somewhere in the middle of the title and the locations are also not suitable for grouping.

Thanks and Regards,
Markus
dfoulkes

Re: Can I use bookmark search to MOVE bookmarks into new fol

Post by dfoulkes »

I'm having an issue with getting the direct link to this addon...Bookmarks Organizer over on the addons site so you might want to go over there and check it out... not sure it has your fix but who knows.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
atlanto

Post by atlanto »

Markus.N

Post by Markus.N »

atlanto wrote:It's a bug.
Oh whow ... 9 years old ...
atlanto wrote:One of bugs which developers don't care.
Well ... I understand that creating new features is way more fun than fixing bugs. On the other hand ... overall product quality is degraded bu long standing pugs piling up. At least, there is some activity in the bug.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

If you don't like the Bookmarks Organizer extension, there are two extensions called Bookmarks Manager that you could take a look at. If the extensions fail, I guess you know you can without searching, drag the bookmarks one at a time into the folder you want them in.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I keep my bookmarks in my toolbar, and another copy on my sidebar. To move a bookmark, I just grab it from the sidebar and move it into the correct folder in the toolbar. Or vice versa. No need for another ext.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network