Change Firefox default email client for mailto links

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jputting

Change Firefox default email client for mailto links

Post by jputting »

Hi,

I would like to know how to change the default Firefox handling of mailto links so that they open my outlook.com webmail service.

I have investigated the Firefox Preferences and only have the following options:

Use Mail

Use Yahoo! Mail

Use Gmail

Use Other:
When selected this simply opens a list of installed Applications on my mac to choose from.

Can someone please advise what I need to change so that Firefox will open outlook.com when using mailto links.

Perhaps there is a Firefox Add-on which can do this easily.

I am using Firefox 64.0(64 BIt) installed on macOS Mojave 10.14.2
Last edited by jputting on December 25th, 2018, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eisneun

Re: Change Firefox default email client for mailto links

Post by eisneun »

How to set Outlook live (Hotmail) as the default mailto
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1235002
How can ace be one and eleven? Huh?
What kind of god would allow that?
jputting

Post by jputting »

Hi eisneun,

I have followed the instructions given on that webpage.

At first I could not get this to work properly, but then I noticed that the link provided sent me to advice given at the tail end of this thread.

I went back further and read the whole thing from the start and found the missing needed information about using the Firefox Web Console.

I have had success in sending mailto links to outlook.com

The Firefox Application Preferences now list: use Outlook Live OWA as an option.

Everything now seems to be working as desired.

Many thanks for your quick response.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Is that method insanely slow for you, and the To has "mailto:" before the address?

I found a faster URL, but it doesn't navigate back to the Inbox when you're done, you need to close the pop-out tab. As another option, I created an extension that integrates into the right-click context menu: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... -link-fix/
jputting

Post by jputting »

Hi jscher2000,

I did notice that method did add the"mailto" before the address which required correcting before sending an email, This method didn't seem at all slow as outlook.com email composing/send page opened with no noticeable delay.

However this was the only solution provided here until you posted with your helpful advice regarding your Add-on.

I have tried your Add-on and it indeed is a better way of opening these mailto links.

Many thanks for your help.