Clearing cookies - are they really gone?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
lumpydumpy

Re: Clearing cookies - are they really gone?

Post by lumpydumpy »

I am definitely doing that - in fact that is one of the reasons that I think the Firefox behaviour is so misleading.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Something to consider are your privacy settings.
If you are not blocking trackers, cookies , etc. and log into some sites, when you change pages and clear history (removing cookies) sites can and some do log you out.
Example: After checking you privacy settings to make sure everything is blocked excluding site preferences but blocking the cookies, log into this site, open a couple of pages and after clear your history.
You should not be logged out but if any of the privacy settings were not blocking 100% with the only exception being the site preferences this site would log you out.
With the newer versions you have to watch the trackers and third party cookies settings under "Block Cookies and Site Data" to make sure it's all cookies not just the third party or you'll be logged out on a history dump.
Just something to consider.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

lumpydumpy wrote:I am definitely doing that - in fact that is one of the reasons that I think the Firefox behaviour is so misleading.
It appears to only be misleading to you. If you are logged in removing the cookies AFTER THE FACT should do nothing. That is what I would expect. Would suggest if you have other expectations stick with Opera.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
lumpydumpy

Post by lumpydumpy »

Just to be clear here... are you saying that when you clear all cookies - including login cookies... that you expect to still have those cookies present and active?

I do agree that I expect the exact opposite. It's why I haven't switched back to Firefox - which I would much rather use since Opera is now so opaque.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

lumpydumpy wrote:Just to be clear here... are you saying that when you clear all cookies - including login cookies... that you expect to still have those cookies present and active?
No I am saying if you are logged in to a site you stay logged in.

lumpydumpy

Post by lumpydumpy »

"No I am saying if you are logged in to a site you stay logged in."

Even if I deliberately 'clear active logins'...? I understand this is what happens. I am suggesting it shouldn't.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

lumpydumpy wrote:"No I am saying if you are logged in to a site you stay logged in."

Even if I deliberately 'clear active logins'...? I understand this is what happens. I am suggesting it shouldn't.
That behavior is exactly what I would expect. As far as
I am suggesting it shouldn't

I suggest that is simply your opinion.

lumpydumpy

Post by lumpydumpy »

"I suggest that is simply your opinion."

i would agree with that entirely. I am not trying to be combative. I am trying to be helpful.

I am genuinely befuddled by the idea that anyone, let alone MORE than one person, as is apparent here, EXPECTS to be logged into a site after they have deliberately deleted 'active logins'. Honestly, I am confused that anyone should expect that. To me, clearing an active login, should mean that the login is cleared. If you compare the behaviour with what happens on Opera, it is surely clear that Opera deletes when it says it has deleted, but Firefox doesn't. Firefox shows empty data boxes when there is, in fact, still data present.

Not for a moment do I think think there is any malice in this. I just think it is not a great implementation. The simple solution would be a pop-up box that that appeared after clearing data saying: "this data will only be cleared if you close the browser"... OR ... the behaviour could change to actually delete the data when you press the delete button, as in Opera. Either would be better than what currently happens.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Here is my opinion. If you think Opera does the right thing and Firefox the wrong thing then use Opera simple solution and saves yet another two pages of diatribe
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Or you could use Cookie AutoDelete.
This WebExtension is inspired by Self Destructing Cookies. When a tab closes, any cookies not being used are automatically deleted.
lumpydumpy

Post by lumpydumpy »

Haha I never thought it would generate such diatribe... I'm on a couple of other privacy tech forums where such things are usually discussed and then implemented... This is a bit new to me.

I think Firefox is a better product than Opera... and would like to use it. Just pointing to what I thought was an obvious - but quite crucial flaw in a privacy implementation.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Locking since there is really not a support issue here.