64.0.2 Shutting Down

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
John Liebson

64.0.2 Shutting Down

Post by John Liebson »

Windows 10 Home, version 1803, up-to-date as of last Tuesday.

I created a new profile due to a strange event where a specific Amazon page would crash Fx. Now, I keep finding that Fx has closed. For example, I returned to the computer after being away less than two hours (as computer had not gone to sleep,) and found that Fx had closed. I had most likely left the computer with the cursor in Tb, but am not certain.

This has happened several times; interestingly, as I had changed to profile manager to not start on a selected profile, as I need to check some things on the previous profile as I get various settings back to the way they were, and when Fx closes, the profile manager pops up.

I just had a different experience: I was editing a web page before printing it, and had just selected the caption for a deleted photo when Fx crashed, and sent me to Tb. I did not get the profile manager until I clicked on the Fx icon to restart it. The crash caused me to lose the web page, which came from my news feeds.

I never get the usual "reload or start a new session" message from Fx when it closes, it simply restarts at the normal start-up blank page.

What do I need to check, or whatever, to find and fix the crash-causing culprit?
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: 64.0.2 Shutting Down

Post by malliz »

Anything in about:crashes ?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

malliz wrote:Anything in about:crashes ?
Thanks for the quick reply.

It did not occur to me to check that. There is a long list of crashes, none of which has been submitted, and only one of which is dated recently enough to likely be connected to my report, namely 1/8/2019; there is a collection of crashes dated 1/3/2019, and I am rather certain that those would have been generated when I kept trying the Amazon page to see if the lock-up of the Amazon page continued.

For that matter, the 1/8/2019 might even be a late test, but I have no idea what I might have been doing at 6:34 PM. Given the number of closings the past few days, including one that occurred sometime in the past forty-five minutes or so, and for which there is no crash report, all in all I would have to surmise that the answer to your question is that, no, Fx is not crashing, just closing, and, thus, no crash reports generated.

After I posted my original question, I realized that I had not asked if there is a possibility that the way I have the profile manager set might be causing Fx to close.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

you should submit the latest 3 crashes, its not for you, its for us, anytime. we can see which extensions, and some system info, some other processes. currently we have nothing.

if you want to create a new profile, just do it.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Brummelchen wrote:you should submit the latest 3 crashes, its not for you, its for us, anytime. we can see which extensions, and some system info, some other processes. currently we have nothing.

if you want to create a new profile, just do it.
Submission of crashes with both the old and new profile fails.

Why do you suppose that, in my original message, I wrote "I created a new profile ..."?

Just encountered another problem with the new profile: Using the same bookmark in both profiles, SiriusXM fails with the new profile. I can log on, but most of the information that should be on the screen is missing, the links at the top of the screen are unresponsive; most importantly, the link for "Go Live" is missing, so that I cannot switch to Baroque and Beyond, getting only the replay version of the same channel. I had to close Fx and switch to the old profile to listen to the program that we listen to on Saturday mornings; very odd and frustrating.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Have you tried any of what you are doing... and having issues... while you have your PC running is safe-mode?... not Firefox safe-mode but you system. Try it and remember ... when you go into safe-mode it should ask you at the beginning (or some place) to start in safe-mode with network active... you would want it active.

Also, I think that I read you right... you are having to work with a couple of profiles in order to get some settings from one to the other??? ..and you use the Prof-manager to bounce between the two? ... if so, why don't you just have another Firefox run and point it to the other profile... that way you have both of them running at the same time and it's easier to deal with reading the old data that you need in the new profile... know what I mean?

Opening a new instance of your Mozilla application with another profile - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

dfoulkes wrote:Have you tried any of what you are doing... and having issues... while you have your PC running is safe-mode?... not Firefox safe-mode but you system. Try it and remember ... when you go into safe-mode it should ask you at the beginning (or some place) to start in safe-mode with network active... you would want it active.

Also, I think that I read you right... you are having to work with a couple of profiles in order to get some settings from one to the other??? ..and you use the Prof-manager to bounce between the two? ... if so, why don't you just have another Firefox run and point it to the other profile... that way you have both of them running at the same time and it's easier to deal with reading the old data that you need in the new profile... know what I mean?

Opening a new instance of your Mozilla application with another profile - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Not yet,no; I know that I need to do some testing, but I cannot start that for another thirty minutes, waiting for Baroque and Beyond to end on SiriusXM. When I do start, I will then be interrupted by needing to move some firewood up to the house from the storage area (away from the building for fire protection,) and by needing to at least start stacking a new load, which is likely to be well over a cord, as my vendor is quite liberal about quantity.

As for what and how to test, one reason I had not started was to see if, by some unlikely chance, someone reading my original message would have a specific clue about the problem. As far as switching between the old and new profiles, I am down to only four items to check in the old one, which ought to take only a few minutes, whereupon I can stop using the profile manager (which, itself, would be a test.)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Drat: I had started to write a reply in this thread when Fx (new profile) disappeared. I put it that way because as I was typing, I was suddenly in Tb, but Fx was still running and I was still logged in, although the message I was writing was no longer there. Perhaps this is a clue of some sort: My having earlier today changed my Fx start-up to go directly to the new profile, not to the profile manager, what I have been thinking (which I only do when really needed....) that Fx was shutting down, it was not. In pondering that, it would explain why, when the manager was in use and Fx seemed to shut down, the Fx icon on the Windows taskbar always showed Fx to be running (or, more accurately, the Fx profile manager to be running.)

Any thoughts about the behavior? (Oh, golly, quite some time ago, I had a problem with Fx doing something similar to this, although I cannot recall the details, but do remember that I had found a suspicious file in the Fx program folder, so a removal and reinstall of the program finally remedied the situation. I do wish that I could more definitely remember if what I am seeing now is what I was seeing then. I also wonder why I am seeing it with new profile, but had not seen it with the old one.)

What I was writing about was that, after some effort, fixed the SiriusXM problem. uBlock Origin was blocking SiriusXM; why it was doing that with the new profile, not the old one, I don't know, and as I have disabled the profile manager, I am not going to bother to check the uBlock Origin settings in the old profile.

While doing the usual `disable x extensions and test,' I found that, at least with uBlock Origin, enabling or disabling it in Add-ons does not necessarily affect how the extension acts; it is only after restarting Fx that you may see the change to enabled or disabled. It took me some time to realize this, as I would change the extension, only to find that nothing had changed, so I would suspect another extension to be the culprit; once I figured out that a restart was needed, I could then pin the problem down to uBlock and add the site to its `ignore these sites' list.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Just a quick addition: As I was perusing a web site, I got kicked off of Fx, and this time the task-bar icon did not show Fx to be running. When I clicked on the icon, it said that Fx needed to be shut down, so I clicked again, and was quickly returned to Fx, but not where I had been reading.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

you were asked TWICE for the crashes - WHAT now? i think malliz wont ask again and dont want to riddle like mine. good luck
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Brummelchen wrote:you were asked TWICE for the crashes - WHAT now? i think malliz wont ask again and dont want to riddle like mine. good luck
I guess that you just don't bother to read what I post; in this case, it was "Submission of crashes with both the old and new profile fails."
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Latest test: I left Fx running, with a Garfield cartoon on the screen, for some twelve hours; when I woke the computer a few minutes ago, the cartoon was still there. I have no idea why the problem did not appear in safe mode; that is, I have no idea as to what is faulty, where to look, what to do to remedy the situation.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

last try
Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems
Most problems with Firefox can be fixed by following the troubleshooting methods described below. Try these steps in order.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... x-problems

provide some information please (text, not raw)
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ix-firefox
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

It occurred to me that the only crash reports that might be helpful, given that Fx is not crashing with the new profile, but did with the strange Amzon page using the old Fx profile, is some that must have been created when I was trying to figure out why Fx was crashing, so I just tried to submit a few of those reports.

The submissions were successful, but the resulting reports apparently were not, as they all state "Firefox 64.0 Crash Report [@ EMPTY: no crashing thread identified; ERROR_NO_MINIDUMP_HEADER ]" I assume that this means that the reports are of no use; if that is not so, then let me know and I will post relevant links.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Brummelchen wrote:last try
Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems
Most problems with Firefox can be fixed by following the troubleshooting methods described below. Try these steps in order.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... x-problems

provide some information please (text, not raw)
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ix-firefox
Thanks, that might be helpful. Step 1 has been done at least once, possibly more often. I reported on Step 3 earlier today. Step 4 of Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems might actually come first, as I downloaded a new copy of Fx a few hours ago, but had other things to do than remove/reinstall. Step 6, create a new profile has, of course, already been done.

Before beginning the process, I have one more test to run, to disable all extensions manually to see if that prevents the problem, now that I know that Safe Mode does prevent it, on the grounds that this step might isolate the cause. Of course, if it does, it would be a lengthy process to find the offending extension.