64.0.2 Shutting Down

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
RobertJ

Re: 64.0.2 Shutting Down

Post by RobertJ »

Safe mode does more than disable extensionsl

FYI - What safe-mode does and doesn't do
  • The status of plug-ins is not affected.
  • Custom preferences are not affected.
  • All extensions are disabled.
  • The default theme is used, without a persona.
  • userChrome.css and userContent.css are ignored.
  • The default toolbar layout is used.
  • Hardware acceleration is disabled.
  • JIT JavaScript compiler is disabled.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

RobertJ wrote:.
Safe mode does more than disable extensionsl

FYI - What safe-mode does and doesn't do
  • The status of plug-ins is not affected.
  • Custom preferences are not affected.
  • All extensions are disabled.
  • The default theme is used, without a persona.
  • userChrome.css and userContent.css are ignored.
  • The default toolbar layout is used.
  • Hardware acceleration is disabled.
  • JIT JavaScript compiler is disabled.
I am well aware of that, which is why I want to try manually disabling extensions; after all, I had experimented with Safe Mode, which prevented the problem from occuring, so (at least to me) the next logical step was to try manual disabling. That worked: I disabled every extension, and after more than two hours, my technical test object, aka "The Garfield Cartoon, was still there, indicating that Fx had not left the program and returned, which causes Garfield to no longer be on the monitor.

I just reenabled TabMix Plus, because it was on my list of four items from the old profile to check in the new profile. I had not yet followed its Options instructions to modify About:Config in conjunction with the extensions settings, leading me to wonder if that could be the cause. Time for yet another test.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

TabMix Plus, is not compatible with FF64.
TMP Developer wrote:Firefox 57 drops support for all legacy add-ons, including Tab Mix Plus. From Firefox 57 onwards, Firefox will not install Tab Mix Plus.
There has been no change in that. Can't say for sure but legacy extensions and their trailing pieces likely will have unknown effects on FF57+.

John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

TabMix Plus, is not compatible with FF64.
TMP Developer wrote:Firefox 57 drops support for all legacy add-ons, including Tab Mix Plus. From Firefox 57 onwards, Firefox will not install Tab Mix Plus.
There has been no change in that. Can't say for sure but legacy extensions and their trailing pieces likely will have unknown effects on FF57+.

The "Plus" is just my carry-over from the TabMix Plus days; TabMix installs and is still being developed, as discussed at the now-ironically-named TabMix Plus forum, in the WebExtension sub-forum.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Interesting. TabMix is not listed in AMO so I'm skeptical of development builds which have a history of being buggy.

John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Interesting. TabMix is not listed in AMO so I'm skeptical of development builds which have a history of being buggy.

I agree, but as I have been using TabMix since the introduction of Fx Quantum without any known problems, I shall continue to use it.

As of right now, it is the only one of my extensions that is enabled, and I sort of wish that it would cause the problem to reappear, but after perhaps an hour, that has not eventuated. I may well have to resort to enabling sets of ten extensions at a time, until the problem arises, then disable five of that set, etc.

Nice to have nothing to do. Yesterday, it was stacking what is probably a cord and a half of firewood, although I've not bothered to measure the stacks, just making an eyeball estimate. Being the provider of critically-needed information, that would be 5.436834624 steres.... I am glad that I finished the stacking yesterday, as it has been snowing here since around 0700 local, rather oddly: Flurries, heavier snowfall, flurries, off and on all day, only a few inches so far fo the predicted 2 to 4 inches. However, the Acuweather forecast does not necessarily apply to where we are; I do have Weather Underground on my smart phone, with a reporting station only a few miles away, but have not bothered to log on the phone to see what WU is calling for here.

Today, feeding the fireplace, reading the two Sunday newspapers and doing the LA and NY Times Sunday crossword puzzles, trying to find and fix the Fx problem, and other esoteric endeavors.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

John Liebson wrote:Yesterday, it was stacking what is probably a cord and a half of firewood, although I've not bothered to measure the stacks, just making an eyeball estimate.
Used to have a house on a lake in MI. Had over 80 oaks on the property. Would cut down the smaller ones and cut into 18" sections in the summer. Would split them in the winter when they were frozen for the next winter use in the fireplace.

Done with that. Now have converted our fireplace in WI to a gas fireplace. My wife loves it.

John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

When I was teaching and coaching at a college prep school outside of Boston, I lived in a house, built sometime between 1810 and 1830, and which had clearly been a farmhand's house, and had onc massive fireplace, which opened on two sides. Given the small size of the house, it could be easily heated even on very cold days by a fire in that fireplace.

As I was not home much, due to the teaching and coaching, I did not need a great deal of firewood, and what I needed was basically free; Friends in Vermont let me trim their apple and maple trees and keep the wood. Chainsaws being very expensive then, I would rent one, although the condition of such was not very good. I would drive to one of the woodlots, cut enough wood to fill the back of my Land Rover. Because apple and maple wood, as is true of oak, do not burn quickly, even the smallish load in my Land Rover would last me for some time.

I did have one amusing incident: A man I did not know kept approaching me as I was cutting fire wood, asking me to sell him the land. I told him that I did own the land, so could not sell it to him. After this happened a few times, i went to an office supply store and bought a quit-claim document, filled it out and signed it; when asked again if I would sell the land, i gave the document to the person asking me to sell. The document relinquished any and all claims to ownership of any property located anywhere in the state of Vermont, as I did not know the surveyed description of either woodlot. I have long wondered if the man tried to buy the land, using my worthless document.

I think that PJ once counted all the trees on our property, perhaps over one hundred, mostly two-leaf Juniper, with some Piñon. Last summer, I finally finished a three-year project to clean up most of the dead wood left from many years of neglect, the house being on what had been a 29,000-acre working cattle ranch. The cleanup was for fire protection: The threat of wildfire is not high, but it does exist, and it might not be a good thing for the house of the founder and first fire chief of the local volunteer fire department to be destroyed by a wildfire. This effort used a decent Stihl gas-engine chain saw that I own. I cut a very large amount of juniper, but quickly found that, when burned in the fireplace, it produces a prodigious amount of ash, so i use a contractor to haul away the results of my clearing.

We do burn piñon, but so far, none of it has come from our small such trees, nor from the one unusually large one on our property; I buy the wood from a man i met many years ago and have continued to patronize him, given that his wood is good and that his pickup truck hauls well over the cord of wood that I pay him for.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

I believe that I have found the culprit, the extension "Time Restart Reloaded." Why it worked in the old profile, but not the new one, I don't know, but as I was going to remove and reinstall it to find out if that would fix the problem, I found that the extension has been removed addons.mozilla.org, so it has been removed from my new profile.

While I did not reenable the six or so still-disabled (for testing) extensions, I will be unpleasantly surprised if those cause any further problems. Until I have some time to reable them and wait to see if anything untoward happens while I am using Fx, I won't mark this as "solved," but do expect to do that shortly.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Time Restart Reloaded does not work with Firefox Quantum v57+. Unless your extensions are on AMO they could cause issues as I posted above. Give it up on those extensions not on AMO; they will NOT work. I will give this one more day and then lock this thread. The problem is solved; you cannot use the old XUL based extensions with Firefox Quantum v57+ ](*,)

EDIT: FWIW, that extension may work on Chrome but the extension API's for FF and Chrome are NOT THE SAME.

John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Time Restart Reloaded does not work with Firefox Quantum v57+. Unless your extensions are on AMO they could cause issues as I posted above. Give it up on those extensions not on AMO; they will NOT work. I will give this one more day and then lock this thread. The problem is solved; you cannot use the old XUL based extensions with Firefox Quantum v57+ ](*,)

EDIT: FWIW, that extension may work on Chrome but the extension API's for FF and Chrome are NOT THE SAME.

The only problem with that theory is that the extension worked perfectly until I created the new Fx profile. It was installed 26Oct2018, most likely from AMO. As far as I remember, I have not, with the exception of Tabmix, installed a single new extension since Qantum 57 that did not come from AMO, and have, in the past, very rarely done so.

I have never installed a single extension for or from Chrome, so that has no bearing on this.

I simply copied the extension folder from the old profile to the new one, with every single extension therein working correctly, and it certainly seems that as of now, they all continue to work correctly, so why would I want to give up the extensions that you claim do not work, but which, at least for me, certainly do work with, obviously, the odd problem caused by the restart one.

Again, I am just biding my time to be sure that the last few re-enabled extensions are working; if so, then I shall mark this as solved.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

](*,) :locked:
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

IF THEY ARE CURRENTLY NOT ON AMO THEY ARE PROBLEMATIC!

Out of patience; locking.