[SOLVED] Help needed with strange YouTube/Firefox issue

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tomdkat

[SOLVED] Help needed with strange YouTube/Firefox issue

Post by tomdkat »

Hi! My mom runs Ubuntu 18.04.2 (64-bit) and Firefox 64. Her Firefox experience with YouTube had been flawless until tonight. For some reason, when she's logged in to YouTube, some channel she's *not* trying to view tries to load. For example, she'll visit YouTube and while her home page is loading, a "Freedom Beauty" channel will try to load and will get stuck in a loop. I can click the 'Home' button to leave YouTube and everything works fine. If I log her out of YouTube (delete all cookies) *before* opening the YouTube site, the problem *does not* happen. If I log her back in to YouTube, the 'Freedom Beauty' channel tries loading again and gets stuck in a loop.

I tried viewing the channel in Firefox 64 on Linux Mint without any loops or strange problems at all.

Any idea on where to start troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance!

Peace...
Last edited by tomdkat on January 13th, 2019, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomdkat

Re: Help needed with strange YouTube/Firefox issue

Post by tomdkat »

Ok, I think I found the culprit. For *some* bizarre reason, the "YouTube High Definition" add-on is causing the misbehavior:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... efinition/

When I disable that add-on, the YouTube home page doesn't change. When I enable that add-on, a few seconds after the home page loads, Firefox tries to load some other "random" channel. So, I'm leaving this add-on disabled for now. The latest version (63.1.5) is installed on my mom's computer and hasn't been interfering at all, until now. I also have this add-on installed in Firefox 64 on my Linux Mint system and it works fine, without issue.

So, I'll contact the add-on author for some help.

Peace...
DiabloMonk

Re: [SOLVED] Help needed with strange YouTube/Firefox issue

Post by DiabloMonk »

tomdkat wrote:Ok, I think I found the culprit. For *some* bizarre reason, the "YouTube High Definition" add-on is causing the misbehavior:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... efinition/

When I disable that add-on, the YouTube home page doesn't change. When I enable that add-on, a few seconds after the home page loads, Firefox tries to load some other "random" channel. So, I'm leaving this add-on disabled for now. The latest version (63.1.5) is installed on my mom's computer and hasn't been interfering at all, until now. I also have this add-on installed in Firefox 64 on my Linux Mint system and it works fine, without issue.
I'm on 64.02 on Windows 10, and I was also experiencing this issue. Based on your suggestion, tomdkat, I disabled that add-on and all is well.