Weird pop-ups

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Waaaa

Weird pop-ups

Post by Waaaa »

Recently I've been getting these pop-ups whenever I use firefox.

Can't figure out how they are occurring, it doesn't seem to be connected to any add-ons, and it will pop-up regardless of what website I have open.

I've checked my task manager for suspicious processes, but no luck. As far as I can tell them seem to appear when I'm using firefox.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Weird pop-ups

Post by malliz »

Do you have either one of those AV's installed? And have you installed anything from savemedia lately
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Those could be fake notifications, part of the page content, but just in case:

Have you given any sites permission to show you notifications? One of them might be abusing it. On the Options page, Privacy & Security panel, scroll down to the Permissions section and find Notifications. Here you should find:

(1) Checkbox labeled "Pause notifications until Firefox restarts"

This is the "Do Not Disturb" feature. Does that stop them?

(2) "Settings" button to the right of Notifications

If you have "Allow" here, you saved a persistent exception. If you granted just a temporary exception, it probably isn't listed here. To stop sites from even asking, check the box here.

----

Also, open the

about:serviceworkers

page to disengage from scripts that could generate push notifications even when you have left a site.
Last edited by jscher2000 on January 16th, 2019, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

Do you visit savemedia? Those pop-ups are Firefox defaults. When you visit a site sometimes you get a pop-up asking if it's OK to allow notifications. Go to their site, and check the notification settings. It should be displayed in the far left of the URL bar. If you don't visit that site, or have pop-up/notifications turned off, then I'd say do a full scan with whatever virus program you do use, and maybe one like SuperantiSpyware.

Do, or do not. There is no try.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

BobbyPhoenix wrote:Do you visit savemedia?
This screenshot suggests it could be linked with an extension.
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

jscher2000 wrote:
It is possible, but I know for me I get those for the sites I allow notifications. On those site, or even sites I block, I see a dot over the info circle. Here is one example:

BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

To the OP one other check to see if it's a simple notification you can just click on the gear icon on the bottom right when they show. That should take you to the privacy/notification settings, and you can turn them off from there.
Waaaa

Post by Waaaa »

BobbyPhoenix wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:
It is possible, but I know for me I get those for the sites I allow notifications. On those site, or even sites I block, I see a dot over the info circle. Here is one example:

I think that was it. I did visit that website in the past, must have accidentally allowed notification.

I found the setting in my Privacy & Security settings under Permissions:

Hopefully that's it. Thanks Guys!