FF Quantum restore specific session (Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
lyve_forms

FF Quantum restore specific session (Mac)

Post by lyve_forms »

hello everyone,

a stopped script had closed half of my tabs, so i am trying to restore the session from before that event, which would be friday morning (posting sunday morning).

from what i found elsewhere it would simply be about restoring the sessionstore-backup and the respective recovery or upgrade files.
BUT: on my mac firefox quantum doesnt even have its own application folder in the library & none of these files can be found.

does someone know how i can restore the specific session i need?
all links/information would have been lost otherwise.

many thanks in advance
therube

Re: FF Quantum restore specific session (Mac)

Post by therube »

(First thing would be to backup your Profile.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Your FF profile is located here

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<random>.default

All relevant files are in there.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
lyve_forms

Post by lyve_forms »

As i already said before, there is no "Profiles" folder for FF QUANTUM (!) on my Mac, none.
Not in the personal "Users" folder, not anywhere else.
The "Users" folder doesn't even contain a "Library" folder, these are located
a) directly on the mac HD,
b) under "System", where there is also an "Application Support" folder, but without any Firefox (Profiles) folders.
It might be that FF QUANTUM (!!!) stores these differently, that's why I explicitly mentioned it in the title.

Any other ideas, please??
There were very important tabs open, assembled over the last months and even year :/
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

There are TWO Library folders. One here

Your HD/Library

and another here

Your HD/Users/<username>/Library/

When initially setting up a Mac you must create a user account which includes many directories including a second Library as shown below.

If you are not familiar with the directory structure of a Mac this could be a difficult process to help you.

Eckard

Post by Eckard »

lyve_forms wrote: The "Users" folder doesn't even contain a "Library" folder, these are located
By default the user library is hidden.
See this page how to unhide it http://osxdaily.com/2016/12/12/show-use ... os-sierra/
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Thanks Eckard. I forgot that folder is hidden by default and may be an issue for a Mac novice.

lyve_forms

Post by lyve_forms »

@Eckard
thank you so much for this, will immediately check.
found the folder -- but the files are from after that crash, upgrade files are from like 2 years ago & not useful.
do you happen to know if there are more continuous files stored somewhere else or if i can restore those tabs manually somehow (except from the history, since those tabs had been collected over many months)?

@therube
how do i backup the profile to jan 18 (morning) to access the old sessionstore-backups?
therube

Post by therube »

Doesn't a Mac give you some ability to search for files?
So if you did a search for (a current) places.sqlite, can't you find that?
And now that you have, where is it located?
(Hint. Most likely... your Profile folder.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lyve_forms

Post by lyve_forms »

@therube
hint: see above, these folders are hidden on my current osx version.
will manually check for the places.sqlite file in the profile folder via the method that @eckard posted & hope to find the old backups and/or tabs in there.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

lyve_forms wrote:@therube
hint: see above, these folders are hidden on my current osx version.
will manually check for the places.sqlite file in the profile folder via the method that @eckard posted & hope to find the old backups and/or tabs in there.
In that info eckard gave you there are instructions to PERMANENTLY un-hide those folders.

lyve_forms

Post by lyve_forms »

@RobertJ
uhm, yes, i know that. i dont know why you keep making irrelevant and rude posts, please stop it. as a moderator, you should be able to discern better and to also not constantly treat people who ask questions as idiots. that would be highly appreciated. also, if you had ACTUALLY READ WHAT I WROTE, you'd also have seen that i found those folders:
"found the folder -- but the files are from after that crash, upgrade files are from like 2 years ago & not useful.
do you happen to know if there are more continuous files stored somewhere else or if i can restore those tabs manually somehow (except from the history, since those tabs had been collected over many months)?"
so you're not just rude and making pejorative assumptions that put people down, you're also not doing your job right by ACTUALLY READING WHAT PEOPLE say. you're not a very good moderator to say the least, really.

my ACTUAL QUESTION was (as a moderator, please bother to read more carefully):
"will manually check for the places.sqlite file in the profile folder via the method that @eckard posted & hope to find the old backups and/or tabs in there."
(this also says that i found those folders and don't need further hints to things that had already been said and posted, as said before, i am not stupid, which you constantly seem to assume people to be. is that all you have to offer in life??)

if you REALLY trying to be helpful and not rude, then try to actually answer the questions instead of making these empty posts that only serve to insult and render you as pseudo-superior, which really doesn't work because as written above, it just exposes you as not doing your 'job' as a moderator well. (as already suggested in a post before that i had edited because you were ban-warning me for calling you out on your rude behavior: please stay away from this thread or send another moderator, your posts are really not helpful at all, they are the opposite, they just make me angry.)