userChrome.css not working on newly installed FF

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Grumpus

Re: userChrome.css not working on newly installed FF

Post by Grumpus »

You need to paste this code at the very beginning (top) of the code you place in the userChrome.css file in the chrome folder'
Syntax is important

Code: Select all

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* only needed once */
The "only needed once" is a comment so you do not add it again.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Ashleyj wrote:Excuse me for being thick but I can't seem to get this to work for me.

I was using a custom css file that I got from Github (Aris-t2) that was working fine with the tabs below the toolbars.

I have read all the posts in this thread but I'm confused about what I actually have to do.
If you already know that you're thick then just stick to what works for you -
Ashleyj wrote:I was using a custom css file that I got from Github (Aris-t2) that was working fine with the tabs below the toolbars.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

Frank Lion wrote:
Ashleyj wrote:Excuse me for being thick but I can't seem to get this to work for me.

I was using a custom css file that I got from Github (Aris-t2) that was working fine with the tabs below the toolbars.

I have read all the posts in this thread but I'm confused about what I actually have to do.
If you already know that you're thick then just stick to what works for you -
Ashleyj wrote:I was using a custom css file that I got from Github (Aris-t2) that was working fine with the tabs below the toolbars.
Sorry I should have made it clear that the working css file stopped working today when Firefox updated itself to version 65.

From what I gather the fixes in this thread are supposed to overcome whatever they did in the last update that broke the earlier css fix.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Ashleyj wrote:From what I gather the fixes in this thread are supposed to overcome whatever they did in the last update that broke the earlier css fix.
Indeed. Rename your existing userChrome.css file to userChomeOLD.css and then just copy and paste the entire code from this post - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14822662 into a clean, blank, userChrome.css file and put it in the same folder where the original one is/was. Save the file, restart and you're done.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

Grumpus wrote:You need to paste this code at the very beginning (top) of the code you place in the userChrome.css file in the chrome folder'
Syntax is important

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* only needed once */
The "only needed once" is a comment so you do not add it again.
I have that line in place and it still does not work.

/* - TABS BELOW NAVIGATION AND BOOKMARKS TOOLBARS (tabs not on top) *****************************/
/* [!] Note: do not use OS titlebar with 'tabs not on top' code on macOS ************************/
/* Firefox Quantum userChrome.css tweaks ************************************************/
/* Github: https://github.com/aris-t2/customcssforfx ************************************/
/****************************************************************************************/

/* [!] NOT A STANDALONE FILE! */
/* [!] This code does not achieve the requested result without above files content! */

#main-window:not([chromehidden*="toolbar"]) #navigator-toolbox {
  padding-bottom: calc(1px + var(--tab-min-height_tnot)) !important;
}

#TabsToolbar {
  position: absolute !important;
  bottom: 0 !important;
  width: 100vw !important;
}

#tabbrowser-tabs {

etc.

The tabs are still placed above the address bar and bookmarks bar.

Until the latest update (65) it was working fine with just this line active in the css file

@import "./tabs_below_navigation_toolbar.css";
I commented that out when I pasted the extra code as I assumed there would be a conflict.
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

Frank Lion wrote:
Ashleyj wrote:From what I gather the fixes in this thread are supposed to overcome whatever they did in the last update that broke the earlier css fix.
Indeed. Rename your existing userChrome.css file to userChomeOLD.css and then just copy and paste the entire code from this post - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14822662 into a clean, blank, userChrome.css file and put it in the same folder where the original one is/was. Save the file, restart and you're done.
Thanks, that fixed it. I was not starting with a clean file but just adding the code to my existing css file.

All I need to do now is work out why all the toolbars are now green.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Ashleyj wrote:All I need to do now is work out why all the toolbars are now green.
You're probably seeing the underlying background there. Try changing this -

/* Remove Haze NavBar */
#nav-bar,
#PersonalToolbar {
  background: transparent !important;
}
..to this -

/* Remove Haze NavBar
#nav-bar,
#PersonalToolbar {
}*/
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

Frank Lion wrote:
Ashleyj wrote:All I need to do now is work out why all the toolbars are now green.
You're probably seeing the underlying background there. Try changing this -

/* Remove Haze NavBar */
#nav-bar,
#PersonalToolbar {
}
..to this -

/* Remove Haze NavBar
#nav-bar,
#PersonalToolbar {
}*/
Thanks again. I will give that a try.
burris

Post by burris »

I've done this 10 times and I still can't get it to work.
I'm sure I'm missing something as I did it when 57came out.

thanks
kerft

Post by kerft »

Follow exactly what Frank Lion says in the 9:02 am today post in this thread. At first use only that code, no old code.
burris

Post by burris »

This is what I put into the userChrome.css
It shows up with the file name 195.code_select all

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul"); /* only needed once */

/* TABS: on bottom */
#navigator-toolbox toolbar:not(#nav-bar):not(#toolbar-menubar) {-moz-box-ordinal-group:10}
#TabsToolbar {-moz-box-ordinal-group:1000!important}

#TabsToolbar {
position: absolute !important;
bottom: 0 !important;
}

#tabbrowser-tabs {
}
m.rumble

Post by m.rumble »

Here's my userChrome, if you want to try it. It will put Tabs on Bottom, make a Status Bar that show the URL inside the bar, and it will disable the popup search bar when you type something into the address bar.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=359 ... 5471579084
arturox

Post by arturox »

Aside from the css at the URL I posted recently, probably the most useful thing to do, is as has been suggested, Rename your existing userChrome.css file then start a new one.

It's just a text file with a .css suffix.

Paste in the new code, Save it and see if that works when Firefox is run... It should... It ran okay here first time when I did it.
If it does the business then you can add back in the other stuff you had in your original/renamed userChrome file, piece by piece.

If you find the last piece you added messes with it, you can leave it out and move on the the next piece.

The obvious thing to leave out is the old code we were using to move the tabs pre 56.

Yes, using this clean file method is more time consuming than just dumping the new code somewhere in the file, but it does give a much better chance of success, particulary if you are less experienced in these matters.

Ax
arturox

Post by arturox »

When my Firefox update to 65 a week ago and the tabs went away, I went searching the net for a solution...

One thing that did boggle me somewhat while doing a lot of searching online, in Newsgroups and Forums etc, was the very large number of Firefox user who wanted their Tabs back below the toolbars.
There was and still are a LOT of folks complaining about this nuisance as their Firefox gets updated to 65...

So I have this simple question. Why is there not a hard coded config option to allow this MUCH wanted facility in Firefox?

Are the Moz developer blind and deaf to this little problem for them, but big problem for us Users?

Ax
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

FWIW - The developers don't read this forum; so, complaining here is a waste of time.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6