Stops reading some drives

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
altquixote

Stops reading some drives

Post by altquixote »

I have been using Firefox in Ubuntu for years. Suddenly, two problems have come up.

1. It has stopped reading any drive - a partition on the hard drive, a USB stick and an SD card. The only drive it sees is the partition on which Ubuntu is installed.

2. I am unable to enter anything in certain web form fields. The cursor blinks in the field, but does not respond to the 'space' command, and keyboard inputs are not registered.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, updated Ubuntu and run its broken packages repair function from the boot menu,but the problems have persisted.

Help will be greatly appreciated.
makaiguy

Re: Stops reading some drives

Post by makaiguy »

Have you tried running in Mozilla Safe Mode? This is a troubleshooting mode which will run with default theme and with all extensions and a few other things disabled. If the problem clears up under Safe Mode, you'll know there is a good chance the problem is with a theme or extension.

Now you can investigate which one is the problem by disabling one or more at a time and restarting the program. When the problem clears up, you'll know it is caused by one of the disabled ones, and you can refine further.

Info on Safe Mode:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
altquixote

Post by altquixote »

Thank you, makaiguy. Haven't tried it. Will do it now.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support as no bug has been identified here.
altquixote

Post by altquixote »

Ok.
altquixote

Post by altquixote »

@makaiguy, safe mode did not help.
I switched to Windows 10 (it's dual-boot), read the disks and switched back to Ubuntu. No go.
I tried a reverse approach - opened a partition in my file manager, selected an html file and tried to open it with Firefox by right-clicking. Firefox could not read the file. The error message says "... not readable. It may have been removed, moved, or file permissions may be preventing access." I checked permissions and found all permissions were enabled.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

When you hit /File/Open File did you try to mount (click or double click) the particular device from the list first?

Also , which version of Ubuntu are you using?

P.S: There may also be an alternative layout which instead of a list of devices it just has +Other
Clicking that will also make the other drives and devices available.
Also, should you be in administrative mode the other devices will not load, particularly when online.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you