Toolbars in fullscreen make screen jump.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
gyaani_guy

Toolbars in fullscreen make screen jump.

Post by gyaani_guy »

In firefox fullscreen, moving the mouse to the top edge, shows the toolbars. I really like this feature, BUT when the toolbars show they push the whole page down, giving a very jarring effect as the whole page jumps down.

Is it possible that the whole doesn't jump when the toolbars show ? The toolbar could just cover the top of the page and go back into hiding as they do.
Would an extension be able to fix this ?

Thanks
the-edmeister

Re: Toolbars in fullscreen make screen jump.

Post by the-edmeister »

There was an "Autohide" extension which did that "sliding down over the content'' when the cursor was moved to the top of the browser window to reveal the Toolbars, but that extension disappeared back in the days of Firefox 3.6 due to Mozilla changing Firefox so often (same old story in a different era) and he got tired of fixing his extension every year or two. I just loved that Autohide extension and I even modified it a bit to make it keep working after the developer quit updating it; very minor fixes that the developer had been working on but just could make right enough to distribute it. Hell, that developer kept Autohide going for beyond his first and second decision to "hang up his tools". But hey, that's ancient history from the last decade.

There were a couple of other similar extensions, but as I recall those didn't have the "slide down over the content" feature or it was too jerky to be useful. Needless to say the 'others' weren't popular enough to gain many users.

And now with Quantum I doubt if anyone could even make an extension like that without creating an API that Mozilla would have to add to Firefox.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
gyaani_guy

Re: Toolbars in fullscreen make screen jump.

Post by gyaani_guy »

well thanks , although that was a sad read..