How do I get rid of typed URL history?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
CBI Web

How do I get rid of typed URL history?

Post by CBI Web »

Periodically I wipe (not simply delete) cookies.sqlite, places.sqlite and the cache2 folder, to securely clean out my history and cache.
In the past this always cleared the typed URL history as well, which is what I want. But yesterday I discovered that this no longer occurs.

How do I get rid of the typed URLs?

I'm using Firefox Developer edition mainly, but also have the regular edition installed, but use it rarely.
I'm also signed in to sync between devices... though that didn't make a difference in the past but maybe it does now?

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.
Grumpus

Re: How do I get rid of typed URL history?

Post by Grumpus »

If you have the menu bar look at /History/ clear history/ ............and look at settings
If you have Everything set you should see the browsing history setting , make sure it's checked.

This can also be set in /tools/options/privacy & security/ History/Settings
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
CBI Web

Post by CBI Web »

I'm not sure I understand how that resolves the issue I'm having?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Periodically I wipe (not simply delete) cookies.sqlite, places.sqlite and the cache2 folder, to securely clean out my history and cache.
you should let firefox handle this because is the safe way without any data los. wiping such files on drive is pointless because windows has always a hidden old file, could be corrupted due overwritten but its there. at least if you dont know about ... if wiping, overwriting with NULL is enough to destroy content. any other is a myth.
for the cache - firefox delete cache but firefox recreate the structure which is empty - you force firefox always to recreate the structure, sisyphus work.

any how if you were able to delete such files then firefox has to be closed and all processes finished. what firefox is doing in background when places are deleted, it recreates the bookmarks from (its own) backup because it assume data loss or a corrupted profile.
CBI Web

Post by CBI Web »

Brummelchen wrote: you should let firefox handle this because is the safe way without any data los. wiping such files on drive is pointless because windows has always a hidden old file...
Yes, shadow copies. My wiping program takes care of that. I've been wiping files for years with no problems. Except now when the typed URLs reappear after wiping. I'm thinking something changed under the hood in FF. Or the sync is pulling the URLs back in. For now I've changed my settings under Privacy & Security > Address Bar, unticking the 'Browsing History' option.
Brummelchen wrote: for the cache - firefox delete cache but firefox recreate the structure which is empty - you force firefox always to recreate the structure, sisyphus work.
Yes, it recreates the structure, but the old data is gone, which is what I want.
Brummelchen wrote: any how if you were able to delete such files then firefox has to be closed and all processes finished. what firefox is doing in background when places are deleted, it recreates the bookmarks from (its own) backup because it assume data loss or a corrupted profile.
And that harms nothing, but accomplishes my goal: total destruction of data that I want irretrievably gone. Bookmarks aren't an issue, it's what appears in the address bar.

Disclaimer: Before anyone assumes I'm trying to hide wrongdoing, don't go there. I have valid reasons to make my browsing habits disappear; it's not always about being bad.
therube

Post by therube »

In the past this always cleared the typed URL history as well, which is what I want. But yesterday I discovered that this no longer occurs.
Does this also happen for you in FF 65?

I cannot confirm in FF 65.
Manual deletion of said files results in no typed URL-bar history.
(I don't use sync, so can't comment on that aspect.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
CBI Web

Post by CBI Web »

therube wrote: Does this also happen for you in FF 65?

I cannot confirm in FF 65.
Manual deletion of said files results in no typed URL-bar history.
(I don't use sync, so can't comment on that aspect.)
I'm using FF 66, it happens there. Both developer edition and regular. I suspect sync is the cause, but haven't signed out of my FF account to check. Need to find the spare time to do deeper troubleshooting.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

CBI Web wrote:Disclaimer: Before anyone assumes I'm trying to hide wrongdoing, don't go there. I have valid reasons to make my browsing habits disappear; it's not always about being bad.
What are those valid reasons?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

MUM :D
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
CBI Web

Post by CBI Web »

Frank Lion wrote:
CBI Web wrote:Disclaimer: Before anyone assumes I'm trying to hide wrongdoing, don't go there. I have valid reasons to make my browsing habits disappear; it's not always about being bad.
What are those valid reasons?
If I told you...

malliz wrote:MUM :D
I'm 58 years old and my mum is dead. So....
therube

Post by therube »

What's the big deal?
I'd expect no issues whatsoever in deleting said files (with FF closed, & perhaps with the addition of any related sqlite intermediary files, if existent).

I'll manually delete /cache/ /cache2/ in a minute, if it fits my workflow.
(Typically have no need to deal with cookies or places.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
bob c

Post by bob c »

Is this what you want

In config file, set “browser.urlbar.maxRichResult” to 0

Wipes all of it

I'm editing this--not sure now if it wipes it or just doesn't let it show. Maybe someone else will help with this
therube

Post by therube »

Well set it back to 9 or whatever & see what turns up (or not) ;-).