Blank page vs Blank tab

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

Blank page vs Blank tab

Post by dfoulkes »

When you either start up Firefox or just in general, running it... you either start with a Blank tab or something of your choice...or if you close all tabs you end up with a blank tab. Is there a way to (in about:config?) set something so that when you either start Firefox and/or close the last tab what you end up with is a truly blank page? ...
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
DanRaisch

Re: Blank page vs Blank tab

Post by DanRaisch »

How do you define a blank page as distinct from a blank tab?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

To me a blank 'page' does not display any tabs at all. When say I click on a bookmark the screen then fills with a tab...also, when I close that single tab that is opened then a blank screen is displayed.

The reason I ask all of this is that I now have Firefox set to start with a blank tab because that is the only option available in Options....and without the extension 'Blank new tab' I get Firefox's default blank tab with that options-icon within that page... with the extension I have it displays a true blank tab.

So, either way I get a blank tab... But I have my system to open bookmarks in a new tab so I always end up with the first tab being blank and not being used by the bookmark(s) that I open...thus I'm always having to close that first blank tab. The old extension TMP used to have an option in it to actually fill that first tab... know what I mean? Added to all this is that if say I start up Firefox and the first thing that I do is click on Options Firefox checks to see if that first tab is not being used and uses it... if it is being used then it opens a new tab. Same goes for say... I click on Addons... if it sees the first tab is already used it creates a new tab... but it that first tab is blank it uses it.

From what I've seen here is that Firefox has in it's options to display a blank tab at all times and it also has the option to open all bookmarks in a new tab. But, using those two basic functions 'always' creates this issue of 'not' utilizing that first blank tab.

In fact, I just started with a single blank tab in another profile then hit the Plus sign to create another blank tab...twice and then I clicked on a bookmarks and it created a new tab with that bookmark... all that doesn't seem the proper way to handle some of this tab stuff.

Thanks Dan for looking ... may you or others can point to something that will get Tab controlling back to pre-quantum extension destruction :D ...I miss TMP~~
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@dfoulkes - if I hit the plus sign once I get a new tab with the Firefox logo and have to hit the home icon to get a truly blank tab.
The tab at start is always a blank tab, the tab showing the words new tab.
Look in about:config - type newtab and see what you get. sinc eit accepts urls try putting in about:blank and see if that changes any of the characteristics.
Also it might not hurt to look for rows and columns if you are not using the suggested newtab features.
Items to look at: browser.newtab.url - browser.newtabpage.enabled
They've made a lot of additions over the old setup on the newtab and it appears the connection is attempted to the ads or other detritus unless you set the home page to about:blank beyond the preferences setting. Hope this helps.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I guess I still don't see how a blank tab is objectionable but a blank page is not. If I want a blank work space I open a new window which defaults to my home page and then close that tab, leaving a blank tab on the screen.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It may be the actual tab graphic shows now when it used to be able to be turned off unless there was more than one tab, that seems impossible to re-establish.
There's always a tab of some sort.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
bob c

Post by bob c »

put this in your chrome folder--when I open FF, I see no tab--just blank page.. Everybody has a preference, what makes everything interesting, I like no tabs when I open FF also This still works on my FF.
Also, can't remember if this is the code are not, would have to look at my chrome folder again, and try it again, with and without, but beside no tabs on open of FF, if I have just 1 page open, I have no tabs open, just when I go to 2 or more pages.

/* Collapse Tab Bar */
.tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox {
min-height: 0 !important;
}
#tabbrowser-tabs > :only-child {
visibility: collapse;
}
#tabbrowser-tabs {
min-height: 0 !important;
}
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thank you bob c ... I'll give it a try.

To everybody else.... I probably confused people with my looooong descriptions above. But the bottom line here is that I don't mind having a blank tab at the start of Firefox but to me if a user has that blank (empty tab) and a user starts out with clicking on a bookmark or ?? that first blank tab should be used for that bookmark and it is not used... thus every time I start one of my profiles up and do something with a bookmark it ends up with that blank tab.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi df,
This bit has me rather scratching my head...
but to me if a user has that blank (empty tab) and a user starts out with clicking on a bookmark or ?? that first blank tab should be used for that bookmark and
it is not used... thus every time I start one of my profiles up and do something with a bookmark it ends up with that blank tab.
(Bolding by me.)

I just run one blank tab at start up in my Firefox v62 but when I select a bookmark, it opens in that original blank tab.
Do you mean that a bookmark opens in a new tab & you're left with the original, blank tab, as well?
Anything else you can add to clarify the problem?

Maybe, check what's set in "about:config" re; tabs?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi df,
This bit has me rather scratching my head...
but to me if a user has that blank (empty tab) and a user starts out with clicking on a bookmark or ?? that first blank tab should be used for that bookmark and
it is not used... thus every time I start one of my profiles up and do something with a bookmark it ends up with that blank tab.
(Bolding by me.)

I just run one blank tab at start up in my Firefox v62 but when I select a bookmark, it opens in that original blank tab.
Do you mean that a bookmark opens in a new tab & you're left with the original, blank tab, as well?
Anything else you can add to clarify the problem?

Maybe, check what's set in "about:config" re; tabs?
Yes, that is what I'm saying... pre quantum I used TMP and I also have my config set to open bookmarks in a new tab... TMP (I guess) was smart in that it took a look at my position of tabs and if it found the tab that I was on... was blank it would use it... or if only one blank tab was displayed it used it... so even if I had that first blank tab and say I opened a bookmark folder with say 5 bookmarks in it that first bookmark would get filled in that blank tab and then the other 4 would open up in their own tabs.

What I'm constantly having to do is close the first tab because Firefox doesn't check to see if it is empty...know what I mean? ... I suppose I could change my config to not open bookmarks in a new tab but then this old guy would have to learn new stuff.... and ... welllll... we all know how some of that goes in life. :D So, I haven't tried the code that bob c posted ..yet..but if it does what I hope that it does then my problem is solved... I'll post back with results. Looking back I guess I didn't paint a clear pic.

BTW LIMPET235 how's it going down there? End of winter here... and I heard that it was pretty hot in your summer... stayed cool .. did ya?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

bob c
Tried you code as-is and my test profile started up with no tabs but when I clicked on a bookmark it opened a blank tab and then my bookmark in another tab... so, it put me back where I started.... thanks for trying. As posted above, maybe I'll have to change opening bookmarks in a new tab and re-learn my habits .
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@dfoulkes - When I start Firefox it starts with a blank tab. This blank tab is different than the blank tab if I hit /File/Newtab off the menu bar.
If I open Firefox and hit a bookmark link it opens the bookmark in that same blank tab. I'm thinking this is what you are looking for.
I don't know if it's legacy or even if it relates to the version you are using but there are a couple of items in about:config you might try and change: Please make sure you take notes of the values as sometimes the reset does not change to the value on some string and integer items.
browser.newtab.url;------> change to about:blank
browser.newtab.preload;-----change to false
browser.newtabpage.enabled;-----change to false
browser.newtabpage.enhanced;-----change to false
browser.newtabpage.storageVersion;-----change to 1
privacy.usercontext.about_newtab_segregation.enabled; change to true.
I believe this last one is what cause the tabs to start at the Firefox labeled one and not the plain non logoed tab.
There's also this - browser.newtab.preload; ------change to false
browser.startup.homepage; set to about:blank
startup.homepage_welcome_url; is modified to a blank space
I do not know if all the activity stream items referencing newtab and relationships to pocket have anything to do with it but things like snippets, top site and a number of other have been disabled on this system as a simpler browser was the goal. I've pretty much gone through about:config with an "off with their heads" mind set.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi df,
I was going to post my "prefs selections" but Grumps beat me to it.
Mine are pretty much the same, 'cept for "browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent",
"browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab" & "browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar"
All these are "FALSE."

I changed 2 more, but these are only for Tab clip width = 100 & Tabs min width = 50.
Not going to affect you.

The darn Weather Gods are playing merry H%#@ with us.
Not sure if it's going to be hot, 30℃ plus & humid or raining or chucking the occasional thunder & lightning storm at us.
At present, it's a very pleasant 20℃ & dry as the proverbial.

Hope Grumps suggestions work.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Grumpus and LIMPET235
Thanks for getting 'into' some of the guts of this stuff. I haven't made the changes yet but when I do I'll be making a copy of the prefs file before doing anything.

But a couple of items to note... the two setting-records below are not in my prefs.js file
so I didn't want to continue yet... JIC you both see a problem with my profile not having them. All the other settings are either already set the way that Grumpus listed or I have yet to make the changes... just want to check with either of you about those to missing prefs-records.

browser.newtab.url;------> change to about:blank
browser.newtabpage.enhanced;-----change to false

Also, where in the H ](*,) does a person get a full list of all the settings and their meanings=values ... does something like that exist? I mean like... how would a person know that the above 'enhanced' means 'what'? ... enhancing what?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi df,
Best I can suggest is...
The main Prefs article should explain a tad more on exactly what "they" all mean...I think? Image
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/About%3Aconfig_entries
(Nope...Not a whole lot of info in there either, as some prefs are not even listed.)

But, you are using/referring to a "Prefs file" are you not.
Or are you checking the "about:config" page?

Do you have any conflicting entries in your Prefs file?
Maybe try just re-naming it as a trial?

NB: In my v62....I also do NOT have those 2 prefs you noted.
But I do have "browser.newtabpage.enabled" & it is set by me to FALSE
Another but...
In v20....I do have "browser.newtab.url" = about:blank, so it may be that "they" removed a few prefs in the later versions?

Getting a tad out-of-my-realm here, df.

So many changes to the later versions.