Mozilla Firefox and Pulseaudio (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
darry1966

Mozilla Firefox and Pulseaudio (Linux)

Post by darry1966 »

Hello I'm running Firefox 60.5.1 on puppy linux and wonder if is possible to switch from pulse-audio to the default alsa that comes in puppy. In other words be able to make sound work in Firefox using alsa instead of pulse-audio?

I know this is an old issue but I have used an older browser till now and wondered if there is an option in about:config to achieve this.
James

Re: Mozilla Firefox and Pulseaudio (Linux)

Post by James »

The official builds of Firefox since 52.0 and later has been requiring Pulseaudio as 51.0 and earlier used ALSA as a fallback.

There is a possibility of trying to use apulse
darry1966

Post by darry1966 »

Yes just found this on this page.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 39#1021839
of the murga forums however I'd still like to know if there is away to change this in firefox internally such about:config
darry1966

Post by darry1966 »

Ok created a script to run the browser with apulse command I am a happy camper with this using apulse
code
#!/bin/sh
apulse /opt/firefox/firefox
James

Post by James »

No backend support for Alsa so nothing like toggling a Preference in about:config
darry1966

Post by darry1966 »

I would have preferred the about:config idea and Mozilla should have put that option in.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

There are plenty of threads about this at Puppy Forums.

FYI: Some unpleasant reading on the subject here
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
darry1966

Post by darry1966 »

mightyglydd wrote:There are plenty of threads about this at Puppy Forums.

FYI: Some unpleasant reading on the subject here
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661
Yes well hardly surprising when a company providing a product that supposed based on freedom, :evil: bulldozes the needs of users to have sound in video playback or have something that works now broken. Then on top of that not want to know about it.
Gusar

Post by Gusar »

Pulse vs. ALSA is a compile-time option. The big distros have chosen Pulse. For lightweight distros such as Puppy, the maintainers could be convinced to choose ALSA. If not, one person in the Puppy community needs to do a compile with ALSA and then share that with the rest. Quite simple really.
darry1966

Post by darry1966 »

Thats all very well but it doesn't change the fact that it should have been an option in about:config instead of hard coding this is supposed to be the world of open source and free software Firefox made this way is neither.:(
Gusar

Post by Gusar »

darry1966 wrote:Thats all very well but it doesn't change the fact that it should have been an option in about:config instead of hard coding
No, that's far from a fact. That's just your wish. And it was available as a run-time option, but there were bugs regarding that. Because of that, and for a few other reasons, Mozilla switched to a compile-time option.
darry1966 wrote: this is supposed to be the world of open source and free software Firefox made this way is neither.:(
Open source doesn't mean developers are obliged to implement whatever you desire or that you can demand that they implement things for you. It merely means that the source code is available to you.

Free software doesn't mean that either. Free software means you are granted the four essential freedoms as described by the Free Software Foundation: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html <- note how those mostly talk about the ability for *you* to do things, it doesn't place any burden on the developers of the software you're using.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

EDIT:
Gusar wrote:one person in the Puppy community needs to do a compile with ALSA and then share that with the rest. Quite simple really.

Yes very 'simple', a work around appeared the same wasted day, that's not the point and why I now use Chromium on all my Linux OS's.
Last edited by mightyglydd on March 27th, 2019, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

darry1966 wrote:Thats all very well but it doesn't change the fact that it should have been an option in about:config instead of hard coding this is supposed to be the world of open source and free software Firefox made this way is neither.:(
Too bad, it is what it is. You complaining will achieve nothing.

This is the Firefox Support forum, not a 'discussion' forum.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)