Safe program exiting help needed.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Robwood

Safe program exiting help needed.

Post by Robwood »

Firefox crashes every time I exit out, whether via the red X button or choosing File-->Exit. The problem is not with the program itself, however. My computer's hard disk is slowly dying on me, which is causing various programs to delay/freeze and until I'm able to get a new one I'm trying to take care of what programs I'm still running. Does anyone have any advice on how to safely exit out of Firefox while I'm going through this time in my life?
Never give anyone your two cents because it's only a penny for your thoughts.
kerft

Re: Safe program exiting help needed.

Post by kerft »

If your hard drive is failing, your Firefox data profile is likely to get corrupted eventually. If you have something like a usb flash drive, you can copy your Firefox profile to it and may be able to use that to recover, once you have a better hard drive. If you don't have a usb flash drive, you could use an account on Google Drive or something similar as a place to store your backup of your Firefox profile. For your old version, I think the Mozbackup utility might work as a first step to make the backup before you copy it to cloud (Google Drive) or your flash drive. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
Since your system is unstable, it would be good to not delete the old backups as you make new ones, just make another additional backup each time.
If the source of your problem is really the hard drive, using Firefox Portable running from a usb flash drive could be some help. To get your data into it you would need to copy data from your profile to the special folder in the Firefox Portable.
therube

Post by therube »

about:crashes, the last few crash report URLs.

If you start FF in Safe Mode, then Quit from there, does it still crash?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

If your HDD is dying, you can't trust anything... Might try...

Copy Profile completely to a new location, & run FF pointing to that new location.
Reasoning that if there is physical disk corruption in places where existing profile data exists, by copying data (some of which is likely corrupted) to a new location (hopefully a location on disk that happens to be uncorrupted) will allow things to "work".

You could run CHKDSK, which might be able to map out bad spots...
You'd want to back up what you can, first, & again you can't rely on what you have backed up.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If you have problems with the hard drive then best is not to use "Clear history when Firefox closes" to clear data like the disk cache.