Firefox status bar popups: How to disable?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

Firefox status bar popups: How to disable?

Post by FrankSMS »

I find these popups NOT informative. They're just a total irritant. As if we need to know if something is loading in the background. They are constantly interfering with the display of the page.

Surely there is a way of banishing these browser pests? Every time your mouse cursor hovers over a link it pops up on the lower left of the screen informing you where that link is. Really? We really need to know the complete address? I bet not 1 in 100,000 users could care less. NOBODY looks at these things! I do wonder what they were thinking when they implemented this "feature" that most everybody despises. And if you add a feature, isn't it just brain dead common sense to allow the user to disable that feature? Of course that would be logical....what was I thinking? Almost all of us are using widescreen monitors where vertical space is always at a premium. You do not want to waste vertical space! Of course tell that to brain dead web designers that put enormous bars at the top, often mostly empty, that try to hide when you scroll down the page but often interfere with the page down positioning so it doesn't work at all. CNN does this. With most of their articles you have to go all 80's like and use the down arrow to read anything. So prehistoric. Its like they never use their own product at all.
jscher2000

Re: Firefox status bar popups: How to disable?

Post by jscher2000 »

Your post is 3 days late!

Status bar messages are older than Firefox itself. Of course you can hide them with style rules in userChrome.css, but to act like they are some newly invented outrage is ridiculous.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

> Your post is 3 days late!

? Not sure what you mean.

> Status bar messages are older than Firefox itself. Of course you can hide them with style rules in userChrome.css, but to act like they are some newly invented outrage is ridiculous.

I didn't mean to imply they were recent. When I said "when they implemented this feature" I guess it sounded like that. I just meant when they designed it. So I guess without a PhD in HTML I'm out of luck? Is it difficult? Or just a case of opening a script and editing it? Even I could do that. I have edited my registry and was surprised that my computer didn't erupt in a fiery explosion but its still here.
kerft

Post by kerft »

The code from here I think would hide the status popups that go where the status bar used to be https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1223327
If you do not already have and need to create userChrome.css , there are instructions here https://www.userchrome.org/ or you can find other variations on those instructions. All of these links are by the poster above your post, he is one of only a handful of people who write code for userChrome.css questions so we should try to give him some appreciation.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

FrankSMS wrote:> Your post is 3 days late!

? Not sure what you mean.
Some kinds of posts are more prevalent on the first day of this current month.
therube

Post by therube »

Usually the fourth (month, that is).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript