DISABLE It looks like you haven't started Firefox in a while

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
c627627

DISABLE It looks like you haven't started Firefox in a while

Post by c627627 »

Firefox 52.9.0 ESR: What adjustment can be made to permanently switch off old profiles displaying:
"It looks like you haven't started Firefox in a while. Do you want to clean it up for a fresh, like-new experience? And by the way, welcome back!"

EDIT: SOLUTION:
c627627 wrote: I always thought this default option of having this message come up is dangerous because when you get it, you are one wrong click from nuking your custom setups and FUBARing your profile. Thank you for posting the solution.

• To disable "It looks like you haven't started Firefox in a while. Do you want to clean it up for a fresh, like-new experience? And by the way, welcome back!" message which comes up if you have not used a Firefox profile in a while:

type
about:config
in address bar, then
Right click on an empty space > New > Boolean > browser.disableResetPrompt > true > OK
Last edited by c627627 on November 19th, 2019, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
dickvl

Re: DISABLE It looks like you haven't started Firefox in a w

Post by dickvl »

You can create a new Boolean pref with the name browser.disableResetPrompt and set its value to true to disable this notification.
browser.disableResetPrompt = true

For Firefox 60+ you can use a policies.json file, DisableProfileRefresh:
https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templ ... /README.md
https://www.ghacks.net/2013/10/27/reset ... x-61-days/
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Never got this, maybe it has reason to ask you!?
c627627

Post by c627627 »

You have never gotten it because you have never used a profile which lay dormant / unused for a long time.
It would be interesting to know the length of time that needs to pass with profile not being used before this message kicks in.
I copy/paste existing profile backups as a way to reset the profile I am using. I do it all the time.

I always thought this default option of having this message come up is dangerous because when you get it, you are one wrong click from nuking your custom setups and FUBARing your profile.

Thank you for posting the solution.

• To disable "It looks like you haven't started Firefox in a while. Do you want to clean it up for a fresh, like-new experience? And by the way, welcome back!" message which comes up if you have not used a Firefox profile in a while:

type
about:config
in address bar, then
Right click on an empty space > New > Boolean > browser.disableResetPrompt > true > OK
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

You have never gotten it because you have never used a profile which lay dormant / unused for a long time.
thats right, i use all my profiles several times a week
It would be interesting to know the length of time that needs to pass with profile not being used before this message kicks in.
that period is known, but i forgot where it was mentioned
https://support.mozilla.org/de/questions/1221180
The message should only be displayed when a Firefox profile has not been used for 60 days.
but
the message might be a result of some parts of your firefox profile being write-protected.
thats why locking files i no clever idea, may not meet you but others still do.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Some related bugs:
955950 - Preference to disable/select the number of days until recommending a reset [29]
498181 - Offer to reset a user's profile if it's gone unused for months [25]
912576 - The Reset Notification is not displayed if Firefox is opened from the terminal [--]
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

surely those bug entries are really old, current is >> 1500000

eg
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... &id=955950
started 2014 into 2015, 4 years old.

not sure if they are still valid.

anyhow if firefox ask it has reason but you can decline.
if it asks again in shorter period then profile is defective.
binki

Post by binki »

anyhow if firefox ask it has reason but you can decline.
I get this all the time on virtual machines. Particularly when I access machines to support customers which give me a personal account. I find the feature scary because I have my profile clean but with a few settings tweaked and resetting the profile will lose those settings!

So, now, I have just added `browser.disableResetPrompt=true` to my memorized list of settings to tweak on every new profile I create.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Rather than try to memorize a list of settings, would it not be better to copy/duplicate one of those tweaked profiles to a location outside the regular Firefox profile before use so it can just be copied in each time as needed?