Fx updates when not permitted

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

Fx updates when not permitted

Post by Odin2 »

Even though my Options instruction is "Check for updates but let you choose to install them," Fx nevertheless updates on its own. It does ask my permission but when I refuse permission it updates anyway! What's going on?
DanRaisch

Re: Fx updates when not permitted

Post by DanRaisch »

Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, Dan. It seems preventing updates is far more trouble than it's worth. The question remains, of course, why Fx provides the option (to update only on request) but does the opposite when the option is chosen. I hope it's fixed, but meanwhile I'll just accept the updates as they come.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

You don't have that Mozilla Maintenance Service thing in Win Programs do you?
If so, nuke it.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Mozilla Maintenance Service
we already had that discussed - its only an elevation helper, the updates are done by firefox itself.
but with not messed up profiles firefox wont update, it just displays the information and do nothing unless i click and allow the update. all my firefox do so.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Brummelchen wrote: elevation helper

Could you show me the reference to that in The Book Of Mozilla talking points?
All I came up with was this..

@The open and honest way to do it would be before Fx installs; 'Would you like to install Mozilla Maintenance Service' an additional Windows Program, YES/NO'.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Mozilla Maintenance Service appears (twice!) in Win Explorer, but it does not appear as a program in my Win7 "Uninstall a Program" list or in the Windows "All Programs" list. I gather that even if I could remove it it would reappear upon my updating Fx. According to https://www.technobezz.com/how-to-disab ... ceservice/, I could disable it by unchecking "Use a background service to install updates" in Fx Options, and I've now done that. :|
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I concur that the Maintenance Service thing can cause this type of problem. It happened to me when they first included it in one of the old updates. I always have my apps in this computer to set where I check for updates....on everything... I like to control what goes into this machine and due to that old Firefox update my Mozilla progs. overrode my wishes even though I had my Firefox/TB set where anything auto was off.... so, I did like many users back them (based on old posts in this forum) uninstalled that service.... no problems since then.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Mozi ... lazine.org

@mighty - its what i wrote - its only for elevating - updates are done by firefox itself, in detail: helper.exe
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... ce-service
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Windows_Service_Silent_Update
(official explanation)

what i wrote about messed up profile - search users post about his modifications and you got all.

usefull:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... generator/
and follow instructions!
therube

Post by therube »

we already had that discussed - its only an elevation helper
Agreed.

All the Maintenance Service does is to bypass a (single, at a new install/update) [Windows] UAC prompt (popup), nothing more.
(And for that reason alone, I find the Maintenance Service pointless.)
I concur that the Maintenance Service thing can cause this type of problem.
Disagree.

Though there do exist actual reasons why this can happen.
Like opening a new, clean Profile - even "as a test", where you have not first disabled updates...
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

So it just quietly sits there, busy doing nothing, contemplating its navel. Good to know. :P
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

therube wrote:
I concur that the Maintenance Service thing can cause this type of problem.
Disagree.

Though there do exist actual reasons why this can happen.
Like opening a new, clean Profile - even "as a test", where you have not first disabled updates...
What went on in here... way back when they first released the maint-svc I didn't notice anything amiss ... but a short time later my Firefox auto-updated and I have my FF and TB both set to not auto update. At that time I checked this board and noted a number of people complaining about the same problem... it was at that time that the maint-svc was the cause and I at least uninstalled my copy. No issues since then and back-when I only used one profile for each program... anyway, that is what I remember. Maybe there was a bug in the first release? .. don't know... don't care now as I keep it out of my system now. I always back up my profiles in both apps. before any updating takes place.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!