"Missing something? Some extensions are no longer supported"

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mightyglydd

Re: "Missing something? Some extensions are no longer suppor

Post by mightyglydd »

You restart Firefox (maybe a couple of times) and wait... WFM with 66/67.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Yes, I had to enable studies and restart twice. First restart gave me my addons back, though it took about a minute. I waited for my themes back, didn't happen. Restarted again and then my themes came back to life - though I had to 'enable' the one I wanted to use.

Incidently, if you want to see what studies are active in Firefox go back to the 'studies' setting and click on View Firefox studies. Alternatively in the address-bar type about:studies and the tab will show the active studies. There you can see the hotfix listed that provided the fix.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Now I'm wondering how long we have to enable this studies thing? Maybe Mozilla will do things to my Firefox that I don't want if I keep studies permanently enabled.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Until .0.4 comes out, MozCo permitting ?
They can study my &%#$@##% :P
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Thank, that worked but why in the world???!!!!do they mess with stuff.
It's Not New and It's Not Order
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Not too sure but...
Either someone forgot to update the certs or it was a deliberate exercise to get everyone onto the latest
Firefox version.....for reasons unknown.

What a strange way to run a railroad.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Or maybe forcing the hapless, like me, to enable Studies for reasons known only to Mozilla.
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

BuddhaNature wrote:Now I'm wondering how long we have to enable this studies thing? Maybe Mozilla will do things to my Firefox that I don't want if I keep studies permanently enabled.
Once your add-ons get re-enabled, you can turn studies back off. That only prevents any more studies from being installed; it doesn't delete the already installed ones. Probably should not delete the hotfix one(s) until they get this totally sorted out, though.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Once your add-ons get re-enabled, you can turn studies back off.
I did that, turned it off. Rebooted Firefox and checked about:studies -- the three studies that had been newly created in there were now all marked "Complete". So every study in the list (I had four in total) is marked 'complete'
custom.firefox.lady wrote:That only prevents any more studies from being installed; it doesn't delete the already installed ones. Probably should not delete the hotfix one(s) until they get this totally sorted out, though.
Okay, so the next question would be, how, exactly, does a user delete a study? I looked in my profile and see nothing there that would indicate it is a storage space for studies.
custom.firefox.lady

BuddhaNature wrote:Okay, so the next question would be, how, exactly, does a user delete a study? I looked in my profile and see nothing there that would indicate it is a storage space for studies.
Go to about:studies (there's a link right next to the checkbox in options) and click the 'Remove' button?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

I think BN means 'completed studies' ?
custom.firefox.lady

mightyglydd wrote:I think BN means 'completed studies' ?
Hmm, mine were still showing as 'Active', so I didn't realize the 'Remove' button disappeared upon completion. Maybe they auto-delete on completion? don't know... :?
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

As best as I can see the following applies:

(1) If the study is Active then there is a Remove button.
(2) If the study is Complete then it doesn't have a Remove button (no button of any kind at all).

To be sure I'm not at all clear on what is meant by a study is completed. And what happened to the files that were installed that were linked to the study.
Last edited by BuddhaNature on May 4th, 2019, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1RetiredCop

Post by 1RetiredCop »

Running Windows 10 (all up to date) FF 66.03 (up to date as were all extensions and themes). I enabled studies under Privacy and Security. I rebooted 6 times, waiting several minutes between reboots. Still no change and all extensions and themes are disabled. I'm just a tad annoyed.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05 ... n-firefox/ has more details.

"It may take up to six hours for the Study to be applied to Firefox. To check if the fix has been applied, you can enter “about:studies” in the location bar. If the fix is in the active, you’ll see “hotfix-update-xpi-signing-intermediate-bug-1548973” in either the Active studies or Completed studies as follows:"

I found I had an active study (and one completed study) even though everything in "Firefox data collection and use" was UNchecked. While I like Firefox this type of shenanigan (creates studies even when permission is denied) is why I don't use it as my main browser.

It did not have the study with the fix. I enabled "Allow Firefox to install and run studies", exited and restarted. No sign of “hotfix-update-xpi-signing-intermediate-bug-1548973” in about:studies but about 5 minutes later my add-ons were re-enabled.