Firefox 66.0.4 released - fixes the non-working add-ons

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LameBrains

Re: Firefox 66.0.4 released - fixes the non-working add-ons

Post by LameBrains »

nowheregirl wrote:To those of you who still can't get your addons working or have them remain disabled, try manually re-installing them without removing them, which is what I did to get mine working and I am one of those who still stick with the pre-Quantum (56.0.2.) But the version you use doesn't seem to matter anyway.

To manually re-install your addons without removing them, open your "profile" folder and find "extensions" folder in it. (instructions here just in case) You should see "xpi" files. They are your extensions. Then open Firefox and go to "about:addons" page. Drag and drop one of those xpi files onto the "about:addons" page. It should ask you if you want it to be added even if it's already listed on that page. Just click ok and it should be re-installed with all your settings intact.
v56.0.2 32bit

This did not work for me. As I tried to install them, it said they are corrupt and cannot be installed.

I'm still dead in the water.
LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

Are there any reliable solutions available yet for reactivating add-ons in 56.0.2 including full instructions?

Thank you.
kerft

Post by kerft »

There will be a system addon sent out soon, today, tomorrow - something like that. I think this might work if you don't want to wait.
Using IE or Chrome or something not Firefox, download this file https://storage.googleapis.com/moz-fx-n ... signed.xpi
Open Firefox, open the addons panel, drag that file into it, or do file->open on it.
Restart Firefox.
Wait a few hours, or if impatient, install (do NOT delete first, just install) your extensions again. If you can't find them to install, try to find them on legacycollector.org.
Let us know if it works or not.
As a reminder (if someone else is reading this), in Firefox 52ESR, all you have to do is set xpinstall.signatures.required to false and ignore warnings. Extensions should work.
James

Post by James »

Firefox 66.0.5 has been officially Released.
Further improvements to re-enable web extensions which had been disabled for users with a master password set
https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/66.0.5/releasenotes/
LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

kerft wrote:There will be a system addon sent out soon, today, tomorrow - something like that. I think this might work if you don't want to wait.
Using IE or Chrome or something not Firefox, download this file https://storage.googleapis.com/moz-fx-n ... signed.xpi
Open Firefox, open the addons panel, drag that file into it, or do file->open on it.
Restart Firefox.
Wait a few hours, or if impatient, install (do NOT delete first, just install) your extensions again. If you can't find them to install, try to find them on legacycollector.org.
Let us know if it works or not.
As a reminder (if someone else is reading this), in Firefox 52ESR, all you have to do is set xpinstall.signatures.required to false and ignore warnings. Extensions should work.
Thank you for this.

Here is what I experienced so far.

I was able to install the hotfix...xpi

I tried to install the extensions again (without deleting the already installed but expired ones) and got the same error message I got when I tried installing them before I installed the hotfix i.e. that the add-ons are corrupted and cannot be installed.

So this hotfix add-on did not appear to work that way for me.

I will wait overnight and see if it does anything tomorrow. Meantime I look forward to an official fix.

A question. After the add-ons are reactivated, can the hotfix add-on be removed?
rannar445

Post by rannar445 »

A little update.

So... I tried reinstalling some of the addons I was still having some complications with... no luck... the next day it appears the addons were re-enabled via the hotfix because I did nothing further after turning in for the night. SO all addons I had before, plus reminderfox thanks to the help of the community, are back with my firefox.

Thank you.
LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

Second update on my situation with FF v56.0.2.

The hotfix above did not appear to work. I tried it both ways, first by installing the hotfix, then trying to install the disabled add-ons that were already installed. When trying to install the add-ons got a message that they were corrupt and could not be installed.

That was yesterday. Today, I don't notice any difference. The hotfix is still installed but the add-ons are still disabled. I tried installing them again, but got the same "corrupt" error message.

Still need a fix!
kerft

Post by kerft »

For old versions - this is another similar way to install the certificate and trigger a re-check of extensions. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... er-1218833 If it does not work for you, you may need a better fix that as far as I know is not ready yet. It is possible that a new profile for 56 (don't delete the old), and use one of the methods to install the certificate, then install extensions, would work. What antivirus software do you use?
LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

kerft wrote:... What antivirus software do you use?
None. I've found them to be more trouble than they are worth. Every now and then I do a scan and it always comes up clean.

I think I'll wait until there is an official reliable tested fix. Don't want to cause even more problems testing.

Thank you for all your help. I'll monitor this thread and hopefully see something solid soon.
LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

kerft wrote:For old versions - this is another similar way to install the certificate and trigger a re-check of extensions. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... er-1218833 If it does not work for you, you may need a better fix that as far as I know is not ready yet. It is possible that a new profile for 56 (don't delete the old), and use one of the methods to install the certificate, then install extensions, would work. What antivirus software do you use?
The post you sent me to in this link by "jscher2000" which replaced the certificate and then reset the trigger to reverify add-ons worked within seconds of the restart!

Excellent! Thank you kerft for the great help. Hopefully I can forget about this issue now and move on! :D