Firefox 66.0.4 released - fixes the non-working add-ons

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mightyglydd

Re: Firefox 66.0.4 released - fixes the non-working add-ons

Post by mightyglydd »

James FYI Fx 66.0.4 arrived here via updates in the last hour or so.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Also the android version is available
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Gazdok

Post by Gazdok »

The fixes did not work on my FF 56.0.2. I can manually debug some extensions, but classic theme restorer is not back and neither are 5 others. a hack introducing a permit did ot work. I set legacy ext to true, and signature required to false.

Any other ideas?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Gazdok

Post by Gazdok »

I did the reddit add on permit. No change.
I am not sure what is meant with the developers console fix.
LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

Can someone explain to me what happened?

So I'm using FF 56.0.2 because I don't want to lose some of the irreplaceable features on some of my add-ons that are not available with the "new" FF.

I have all the automatic update settings including the add-on update settings set to off. I foolishly assumed this would prevent mozilla from communicating with my browser, pushing things that I don't want and prevent them from spying on me. Never really gave it much thought, but in the back of my mind that's what I assumed.

I've been happily using this version with the add-ons for what?... maybe a year or two now (whenever 57 came out and I decided not to take the upgrade). Everything was fine.

Now, suddenly my add-ons don't function because they are not "verified."

I get that some developer mistake caused it. But what mechanism and process was used to do this to my browser? I am assuming that mozilla must be monitoring my browser somehow and it is something in their system that was able to do this to my system. I am assuming it is like a kind of process similar to an "update" that is done even if you have updates turned off.

Because I assume this, it was a shock to me. I had no idea that mozilla still had hooks into my browser and find it kind of disturbing.

Can someone tell me if my characterization of what happened is right?
rannar445

Post by rannar445 »

First time poster...

I have Firefox 56.0.2 (64-bit)... why? Because many of the addons I can't get to work with the modern ESR and I really like most of these addons...

It felt like a little bit of a betrayal when Firefox did this to me...

So imagine my surprise being a holdout when Firefox took away all my addons anyways...

I have been told the rollout of a fix will fix this... yet... not yet...

If Firefox is trying to make them hate them and go to another browser they are on the verge of succeeding.

If anyone has any information or guidance on how to remedy this situation I would be very grateful.
kerft

Post by kerft »

Crypto certificates generally have an expiration date. If your computer was disconnected from the internet, even three years ago, and you set your date to 2020, extensions would have been disabled. Extensions are required to be signed using that certificate, in any standard Firefox version newer than Firefox 43. If you install the new certificate and get things working, and then set your date to 2026, extensions will again be disabled.
If you want to avoid this and use legacy extensions, I believe Firefox 52.x ESR (only Firefox 52.x ESR, or I guess 45.x ESR) can use extensions without checking their signatures if you set at URL about:config xpinstall.signatures.required to false.
LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

kerft, thank you again. I would like to try to install the new certificate, but I don't know how. Your previous instructions were not detailed enough for me since I have no knowledge of how to do it.
kerft

Post by kerft »

This thread might make it a bit clearer - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3049754
If not, as I said above maybe try Firefox 52.9.0 ESR and change that setting.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

LameBrains wrote:So I'm using FF 56.0.2 because I don't want to lose some of the irreplaceable features on some of my add-ons that are not available with the "new" FF.
I have all the automatic update settings including the add-on update settings set to off. I foolishly assumed this would prevent mozilla from communicating with my browser, pushing things that I don't want and prevent them from spying on me. Never really gave it much thought, but in the back of my mind that's what I assumed.
I get that some developer mistake caused it. But what mechanism and process was used to do this to my browser? I am assuming that mozilla must be monitoring my browser somehow and it is something in their system that was able to do this to my system. I am assuming it is like a kind of process similar to an "update" that is done even if you have updates turned off. Because I assume this, it was a shock to me. I had no idea that mozilla still had hooks into my browser and find it kind of disturbing.
My sentiments exactly !
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

kerft wrote:This thread might make it a bit clearer - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3049754
If not, as I said above maybe try Firefox 52.9.0 ESR and change that setting.
Thank you again kerft.

I might try that as a last resort if necessary. For now I've decided to wait a while and see if what was broken will be fixed.

If it is fixed, I don't know whether that will include setting the add-ons that were deactivated back to active. But as I mentioned in my case I run FF in a sandbox so all I would have to do is delete the sandbox and start over since they are all activated in the default program on my machine.

I'll test it again in a few days with a clean setup and see if they get deactivated again. I'm hoping that it that problem will be fixed.

The one positive thing I did get from this experience was to learn something about mozilla's relationship with FF users and their browsers. It was a bit of a rude awakening.

Frankly, at this point, if it wasn't for the add-ons (many of them now no longer functional or available with the new FF versions), I probably would have switched to Chrome by now. I am a prisoner to the obsolete add-ons. I hate that, but what can I do!

At least with Chrome you know they are spying on everything you do, it's not a surprise. And I THINK they make some attempt to support "legacy" features or at least create decent replacements if they can't do that. I still feel burned by FF for cutting of my old add-ons and their arrogant attitude about it. One of these days I am going to man up and get free of FF even though I think it's a good browser. The technicals are one thing. Attitude and treatment of users is another.
Gazdok

Post by Gazdok »

My FF 56.0.2 is back to its normal self thanks to the hotfix: hotfix-reset-xpi-verification-timestamp-1548973
Many of the work-arounds did not help me.

Thanks to developers if they read on here.
nowheregirl

Post by nowheregirl »

To those of you who still can't get your addons working or have them remain disabled, try manually re-installing them without removing them, which is what I did to get mine working and I am one of those who still stick with the pre-Quantum (56.0.2.) But the version you use doesn't seem to matter anyway.

To manually re-install your addons without removing them, open your "profile" folder and find "extensions" folder in it. (instructions here just in case) You should see "xpi" files. They are your extensions. Then open Firefox and go to "about:addons" page. Drag and drop one of those xpi files onto the "about:addons" page. It should ask you if you want it to be added even if it's already listed on that page. Just click ok and it should be re-installed with all your settings intact.
rannar445

Post by rannar445 »

nowheregirl wrote:To those of you who still can't get your addons working or have them remain disabled, try manually re-installing them without removing them, which is what I did to get mine working and I am one of those who still stick with the pre-Quantum (56.0.2.) But the version you use doesn't seem to matter anyway.

To manually re-install your addons without removing them, open your "profile" folder and find "extensions" folder in it. (instructions here just in case) You should see "xpi" files. They are your extensions. Then open Firefox and go to "about:addons" page. Drag and drop one of those xpi files onto the "about:addons" page. It should ask you if you want it to be added even if it's already listed on that page. Just click ok and it should be re-installed with all your settings intact.
Thank you nowheregirl,

Except when I drag them to my firefox... it informs me the addon appears corrupt and blocks the install.

I notice I now do have "hotfix-update-xpi-intermediate" v 1.0.2

I seem to recall a similar matter when I tried to manually reinstall the addon ReminderFox...