Stuttering/lagging firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Hyberpsycrow

Stuttering/lagging firefox

Post by Hyberpsycrow »

Recently i noticed that firefox started to stutter or lag a bit when i scroll on sites to read stuff.
It dosent happens everytime i scroll..its randomly when it happens. But when i scroll up or down then its like there
is a small stutter/lag input like you are scrolling on a 30 hz monitor or worse.

I tryed disable extentions and i only use adblock and new tap.
Also i tryed to disable hardware accel. but that only made it worse.

It has not been like this before, but it is getting annyoing to watch on over the time.
I tryed to look on the same site in explore at it scrolls smooth..no lag at all, so im sure its firefox that has gone worse...
DanRaisch

Re: Stuttering/lagging firefox

Post by DanRaisch »

If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Hyberpsycrow

Post by Hyberpsycrow »

I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it fresh with no addons installed and it still does the same laggy thing.
It dont lag whan i scroll fast up and down or keep scrolling.

It only happens if i scroll 1 wheel turn at the time with a 1-3 second break before i scroll again.
Then its random if the lag apears, but you can see the text on the site jagging/laggy a bit on the scroll when it happens
It does this 1 time and then the next scroll i make will be fine until i scroll again and it will happens randomly again.

It sounds stupid when i explain it but i dont know how to explain it well...

Even on this page you link then i get lag on scroll...and it dident help.
Im using a 2080 rtx ti card and a 4k asus pg27uq monitor..maybe firefox dont like these hardware..
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Hyberpsycrow wrote:I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it fresh with no addons installed and it still does the same laggy thing.
It dont lag whan i scroll fast up and down or keep scrolling.
When you uninstalled Firefox did you also remove the data files (profile)..because just bringing in a new copy of Firefox does not resolve profile issues.

Do what Dan suggested... try that new profile and test with it before adding any extensions.... then let us know. BTW, a use can have more that one profile and it won't mess up your old profile.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Hyberpsycrow

Post by Hyberpsycrow »

So i created a new profile and used it.
It also lags and stutters in the scrolling part on every site

Has it something to do with 4k ?
kerft

Post by kerft »

If you like, you can leave smooth scroll on for other things and only disable it for mouse wheel scrolling. That can be done by going in the location bar to about:config, search for general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel and set to false.
To make one turn of the wheel scroll more, you can set mousewheel.min_line_scroll_amount to 9, default is 5. 22 would scroll about one screen per click.
Or, you can set mousewheel.default.delta_multiplier_y to 200 or so, that is 200% of normal scroll amount.
Lots of other adjustments are here: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... scrolling/

Do non-browser games work ok?
Hyberpsycrow

Post by Hyberpsycrow »

Yes games like warframe runs smooth with my 2080 rtx ti OC