MozillaZine

Detaching tabs

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jbreukelman

Post Posted May 13th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Hello.

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but my searches couldn't find any information more recent than ten years ago.

It seems that the ability of Firefox quantum to drag a tab and have it open a new window has become a lot more sensitive. Is there any way to reduce the sensitivity of this? I don't want to disable the feature - it is one I use - I just want to reduce the sensitivity so that I can stop opening new windows accidentally.

Thanks.

Jeff Breukelman

therube

Post Posted May 15th, 2019, 5:37 am

Never knew you could do that. Neat.
I certainly could see where one could do that, inadvertently, & end up with a tab "gone" & a new, unwanted window, existing.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

dfoulkes

Post Posted May 15th, 2019, 7:24 am

jbreukelman wrote:Hello.
It seems that the ability of Firefox quantum to drag a tab and have it open a new window has become a lot more sensitive. Is there any way to reduce the sensitivity of this? I don't want to disable the feature - it is one I use - I just want to reduce the sensitivity so that I can stop opening new windows accidentally.

Thanks.
Jeff Breukelman

I tried that option yesterday when I read you post... I check the prefs file to see if I could find a setting that might have something to do with that function... could not find anything, but that's normal... for me ](*,)

But I ask... you say 'more sensitive'... in my testing I focused on a tab and moved it down about 1/8 of an inch... no change... moved it down somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch and a new window opened up with that tab. What are you seeing?

And I'm with therube... I did not realize that function existed.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

LIMPET235

Post Posted May 15th, 2019, 7:47 am

Just a FWIW...
For ref; > https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/750937

The "feature" has been around for just a little while...as has the requested "de-sensitization" of it.
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=727420
:)
Not sure if there's a current extension to disable the function though.
but, here's a possible? > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ab-detach/
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

BobbyPhoenix

Post Posted May 15th, 2019, 3:49 pm

therube wrote:Never knew you could do that. Neat.
I certainly could see where one could do that, inadvertently, & end up with a tab "gone" & a new, unwanted window, existing.

That's the intended function. If you drag one tab out of a multi-tab window, it will become a new window. But if you drag a tab out of a multi-tab window, and into another Firefox window, it will become a multi-tab window also. But you could always just keep dragging them out to make multiple separate windows if you wanted.
Do, or do not. There is no try.

dickvl

Post Posted May 15th, 2019, 8:51 pm

You can drag the tab back to the tab bar of original window to undo the detach and the window will close automatically if this was the only tab in this window.
See also:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... -detach-2/

Return to Firefox Support